Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm new here, an also in saxophone world i guess...

im looking for mp that produces a dark, warm tone that can suit both for jazz and classic. and by the way i live in indonesia, there's no saxophone shop here where sells lots of mp and you can try. the only mp i've seen here is rico. the only way to buy a proper mouthpiece is shopping online. that's why i really need your help guys. i know it's better to try it by yourself to get the sound you want but... yeah....

i've read so many references from internet and i found otto link hr, meyer hr, vandoren v16 could be the one im looking for. i want your opinion guys. is there something better? ah yeah i have limited budget so only <150 usd. how about buying a new version one? which one is better in quality?

i found a bad finished on an otto link mp here. i have tried the stm one and found a ding inside and it makes squeaky sound. i dont know about meyer or vandoren, but i also found a bad review on the internet about new meyer.
i was told that jody jazz hr sounds similar to old meyer, but that's out of budget.

thank you :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
IMO, and those of many other players I know, Vandoren produces very fine mouthpieces for a "mass produced" product and their overall quality is superior to the other off the shelf mouthpieces available out there today. You should probably look for a lower baffle, larger chamber, close to medium close tip opening piece to produce the sound you describe. I would go to the Vandoren website and look at their descriptions. The T45 mentioned would be a good choice, but look at the offerings and comeback with questions on what you think you like. WWBW ships internationaly and their prices are good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try a Vandoren T45. It should give you what you're looking for.
IMO, and those of many other players I know, Vandoren produces very fine mouthpieces for a "mass produced" product and their overall quality is superior to the other off the shelf mouthpieces available out there today. You should probably look for a lower baffle, larger chamber, close to medium close tip opening piece to produce the sound you describe. I would go to the Vandoren website and look at their descriptions. The T45 mentioned would be a good choice, but look at the offerings and comeback with questions on what you think you like. WWBW ships internationaly and their prices are good.
thanks guys for the respond

i just don't get it. what do you mean by vandoren T45? i opened the vandoren web and there are 3 types : T45 v16 metal, java, and jumbo java. i know for sure that jumbo java is a bright mp. by the way i prefer the hard rubber one, easier to control so if it is v16 metal it's rejected

*oops sorry i didnt read the description. im sure it's t45 java isnt it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you're willing to buy used here on SOTW, you might also consider a Morgan 6L or 7L, a classic large chamber, w/ low baffle, darkish and resonant, w/ fine workmanship and using high grade rubber. The 6L has a .090 tip, a good reasonably conservative size to begin on, and may just end up be the last piece you may ever need. Have seen them run used in the $150 range in the mouthpieces 'For Sale' section here. There are other good options too.

'museman'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,687 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're willing to buy used here on SOTW, you might also consider a Morgan 6L or 7L, a classic large chamber, w/ low baffle, darkish and resonant, w/ fine workmanship and using high grade rubber. The 6L has a .090 tip, a good reasonably conservative size to begin on, and may just end up be the last piece you may ever need. Have seen them run used in the $150 range in the mouthpieces 'For Sale' section here. There are other good options too.

'museman'
so many people sell mp here but cant ship worldwide. but thanks for the advice, i'll try to lookin at this
The Kanee Custom O7 is nice and dark and plays very well. It's only 100.00. Great piece for the price.
never heard before, but i'll find out. thank you!
Does he say tenor or am I missing something?
lol! we're in 'Tenor mpc' section of SOTW

·
Registered
761 Posts
You can NOT use a jazz mouthpiece for classical. However, you can use a classical mouthpiece for jazz. I recommend a Vandoren Optimum AL3, it has the warm sound you are looking for.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You can NOT use a jazz mouthpiece for classical. However, you can use a classical mouthpiece for jazz. I recommend a Vandoren Optimum AL3, it has the warm sound you are looking for.
Will resulting frequency conflicts put people at risk or is it just plain illegal??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thx for another opinion
but i think i agree with you, i was thinking about playing jazz with the warm sound of classic..
Ok time to pull out my gun (er) my S80 then.
But I'm gonna put a secret baffle in it :twisted:
hmmm baffle.. btw now i use a jody jazz norteno (brighter than the classic) for my alto and i like it. there's a spoiler that can change the character of the sound, though for me with spoiler it's too bright for me
is there anything like this mouthpiece that can be inserted a spoiler and can make 2 very different sound, so we can play dark without spoiler for classic, and bright with spoiler for jazz? just wondering. i saw runyon has many types of them

·
Registered
495 Posts
The AL3 with a jazz embouchure/styling is the way to go.
Except for the fact that the AL3 is an alto mouthpiece. The tenor version is called the TL3. A very good mouthpiece by the way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,532 Posts
Try & get a theo wanne hard rubber piece, the 'akimba' or 'gaia' I amplaying the performance line 'brahma' in an 8 & its perfect......

1 - 20 of 67 Posts