Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am based in Mali (West Africa), and I want to buy a beginner Saxophone.
I have two offers, each ask for around 150 EUR. One is a CELIO saxophone (black one), the other we really don't know (no brand other than some hard to identify signs).
The deal is, I only have the photos (I can't see in live, long story but no way to change :))

Does anybody have an advise?
Or by any chance could identify the second one?

Thanks so so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
The first (non-black) one certainly looks like a Yamaha to me. Did any other manufacturer have key guard like that? Or did anyone attempt to counterfeit an item such as a Yamaha student model?

If it is indeed a Yamaha (or stencil; made by yamaha but branded with different company name), it would be a good choice, and probably much better and more valuable than the other one.

But note that sax repairs can be expensive, techs may be difficult to find in some parts of the world, so the value depends a lot on whether it is ready to play and good condition, or if it needs adjustments or repairs. From pictures only it is impossible to know whether a sax is in good playing condition.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
The gold lacquered one appears to be a Vito made by Yamaha that's roughly the same horn as the Yamaha YAS-21 or 23. The other is probably a Cecilio and Chinese made. All things being equal I'd take the Vito/Yamaha as it's likely to be the better built of the two. However as raindog suggests, without playing them you have no idea how much work either may need. Either one or both may presently be unplayable and you'd never know from those pics.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,874 Posts
@KSR welcome to SOTW
Buy the one on the left. @ €150 is reasonable.
It looks like mid 80s. It is a Vito (Yamaha YAS 23) excellent instrument!
Very durable quality Saxophone. The other choice will be scrap in a year. Even after you spend the same money servicing it.
plan on spending €200 in service. Your cost may be different due to the economy of your region. Could be less could be more.

·
Registered
432 Posts
+1 to buy the Yamaha/Vito. But in either case it is very likely that the instrument will need some repair or adjustment. Saxophones are surprisingly delicate. Is there a repair person near you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts