Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have the opportunity to trade one of my low value tenor for a Dolnet tenor saxophone. I heard good things about the Dolnet tenor and I'm curious so I think I'll go ahead with this project.

The horn will need some love but has a good potential IMHO. My problem is that the guy says it's one from the Belair era but he has nothing to prove it. Usually the Belair name is engraved on the bell along with Dolnet Paris, right? How can I know it's actually a Belair model? serial number?

I'll share a couple photos in a few hours. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
http://saxpics.com/?v=man&manID=5
has a serial # chart, with the caveat "There isn't a Dolnet model or serial number chart, per se, so I essentially am creating this based on engravings, user input and manufacturing differences."
Further down it states "Also note that the "Bel Air" series introduced letters after the serial number. If you see a "C" after the serial number, it isn't a C instrument!"
I hope that helps and that you have a great time with your new tenor; I've always been struck by the design and have a Jean Cartier stencil that I love.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
Hello :).

This is a BelAir ( or at least a horn that shares all characteristics of this so called model) even when not specifically identified as such by a name on it. The white pearls are typical of the later production while in the early days you could have had black or red too (always check those for the possibility that they are HP).

This is probably a very nice horn , most of them are. Their valuation in Europe may be lower than it may be in Canada but we don’t have as many in lacquered version. Often times lacquer is not great on Dolnets and the worst are the ones made of permagold like the Royal Jazz ( essentially a Bel Air with extra keys and a sort of false-microtuner).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for your help. I'm just waiting for the guy to get the go to our trade. By the way there is a guard missing as you can see on the photo. Anyone knows who I can contact to supply a spare part?

View attachment 234462

·
38,865 Posts
well, it won’t be easy to find an original pant’s guard especially in this finish, so, unless you are absolutely firm in originality you may consider to have something adapted to this.

Another thing is the fact several dents are visible at the back on the body.

This is not really a very big issue but it making sure that the dents are made to be really invisible will be difficult.

There are many and cheap Dolnets around. Unless you want this one for a particular reason I would consider buying another one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, it won’t be easy to find an original pant’s guard especially in this finish, so, unless you are absolutely firm in originality you may consider to have something adapted to this.

Another thing is the fact several dents are visible at the back on the body.

This is not really a very big issue but it making sure that the dents are made to be really invisible will be difficult.

There are many and cheap Dolnets around. Unless you want this one for a particular reason I would consider buying another one.
Yeah I know it will need work to get it in good playable condition. But you know I traded it for a cheap ( very ) tenor who is ready to play. I don't use this horn so I don't care about letting it go. The Dolnet represents obviously a project horn and it's not a hurry to get it back to a decent condition. So I'll spend money and time in the next weeks and months. I don't want it in a perfect restored condition; as long as it plays well I'll be happy.

·
38,865 Posts
then you don’t need the pant’s guard, many lost it and some horns never had one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts