Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member here. Wondering if anyone can assist me with a re-lacquering question. My father wants me to sell his 1957 Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax and I have it listed for sale. Two people have contacted me stating that it looks like it was re-lacquered. He is the original owner (purchased it in early 1958) and told me that it has never been re-lacquered as he was always told it would affect the tone and value of the instrument. I am attaching pictures.

Thanks,
Jim

View attachment 224622 View attachment 224624 View attachment 224626 View attachment 224628 View attachment 224630 View attachment 224632 View attachment 224634 View attachment 224636

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
The engraving above the logo looks a little suspicious. But honestly, it's really hard to tell from photos. If you could shoot a few photos of the engraving from different angles it would helpful.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The engraving back then was much deeper than you’d see in later VI saxophones. This looks relacquered to me.

Unfortunately, some shops would do it regardless of what the owner would request because it was, “the trend.” I’ve seen a bunch of original owners sell their horns and swear that they’re original lacquer when, in fact, the horn was relacquered without their consent.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The engraving back then was much deeper than you’d see in later VI saxophones.
I don’t know about USA engraved saxes, but here in the UK the engraving on early mk 6s is not as deep as it would be in the 60s versions.
The later ones being considerably deeper and more defined.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I zoom in on the pics of the engraving it looks like a relacquer. But pictures can be deceiving so I would want to see the horn in person in order to make a definite decision.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I don't think that's a relaq. Beware of BS thrown at you by pickers who are looking for an angle to talk you down in price. Often they aren't even players, just people looking to buy your stuff cheap and then flip it for a profit. They will take advantage of your ignorance. It happened to me when I was a lot younger an a lot dumber.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Here you go, and Brian at Getasax has great reputation as an honest and fair dealer:

https://www.getasax.com/is-my-vintage-selmer-saxophone-original-lacquer-or-relacquered/

Also, as a comparison, here is a link to an original lacquer horn from near your horn's vintage: https://www.pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=5855&morepics=1

and from the same dealer/repair tech a link to a relacquered horn: https://www.pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=5479&morepics=1

The difference in market price for an original lacquer vs a relacquered horn is significant enough that you should get some expert opinions. It might be best to go with a consignment from a reputable dealer if you really aren't sure of what you are selling.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,404 Posts
Overhauled/relacquer without a doubt. STILL, its a very valuable horn - just not $12,500.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Greetings from a horn of same age - fantastic player!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Overhauled/relacquer without a doubt.
Yeah, I can't see why anyone would even think this was original lacquer. They should think long and hard before offering such thoughts again.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
How can you not know if somethings been relac'ed? If it was that good condition, it didn't need a relac. If it needed a relac, you'd have to notice the before/after.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Floral engraving looks just like mine, which is also relacquered. Doesn't make it a bad horn, just means it's not worth as much. Sorry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes. It looks like a relacquer, but If it is a player horn (there are lots of good relacquer player horns out there) he will find a new home at the right price. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How can you not know if somethings been relac'ed? If it was that good condition, it didn't need a relac. If it needed a relac, you'd have to notice the before/after.
My father is 82 and he hasn't touched the horn in almost 30 years. He only remembers taking it in for servicing once in while before that and has no records, etc. I only asked a simple question as I had a new model Selmer and was not familiar with the older horns and his horns history. I have had it confirmed that it was redone at some point so at least I know what value it should be. Thanks for the "helpful" replies.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts