Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have few questions i really need to know:

1. When you play your horn, do you sing in your mind/heart? If so, how do you sing it? Is it with Do re me fa sol la ti? or?

2. When you practice scales, do you sing it or do you just memorize your fingers to press the right key? And if you do sing it, do you sing it by the C D E F G A B C or the do re mi syndrome? I find it impossible to sing it with sharp or flat keys.

3. Someone told me, singing when you play in mind/heart is wrong thing to do as you put twice the load into your brain. Is this right? I've been taught to sing notes since I was in primary school. Now i cant help without singing do re me fa sol la ti do everytime i play a tune.

4. More about singing...I always associate C=do d=re etc So when I practise d scale or e scale all other scales other than C major scale, I always sing it in my mind and cant help it. When i try to get the notes of a song, I always translate the song into do re me fa sol...etc...and automatically play in C major scale and having trouble transposing it.

5. Sometime if i read a sheet music with anything more than 2 sharps/flats, I have difficulties learning it because I cant help sing it in my mind the problem is when a note is bent (sharp of flat) I dont know how to sing it?????!!!!

I am having a mind problem here, please help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have you tried using shape notes?:D
Your usual singing scales will work well. Play the first note of the scale, sing it and Robert is your dad's or mum's brother.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Msj10...

when you play your horn, listen to your self, listen to your heart, listen to your mind, sing, don't sing...... do whatever you want, listen to the brids if it helps. Just make sure that whatever comes out your horn, is what you want to hear, if it isn't, keep working on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've kind of learned how to visualize the notes, which in turn helps me hear them. I don't actively try to sing the pitches, but I've learned how it will sound. This has become something that I don't really work at, but it has become easier and more apparant the more I practice.

Just keep practicing hard, IMO you shouldn't worry about things like this, the more time you spend on practicing, tunes, improv, transcribing, patterns, anything, you'll solve this question for yourself. I used to ask myself these same things, I spent the last 3 months practicing for 6-8 hours a day, and I feel like I've come up with my own answers.

Hope this helps

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
That issue of transposing is a problem some of my friends have because of their perfect pitch. Do you have perfect pitch? Maybe you should read up on it and find out. There are many benefits to perfect pitch, and the only real problem is the one you're having.

I think "singing" it in your head is a VERY important skill, and you should stick with it. FWIW, when I learned solfege, it was "movable do," meaning that "do" is the tonic pitch in whatever key I was in. If I were in the key of "E," "do" would be "E." For sharps and flats, I was taught the following going up the scale with sharps: Do, Di, Re, Ri, Mi, Fa, Fi, Sol, Si, La, Li, Ti, Do. Then back down with flats: Do, Ti, Te (say "teh"), La, Le, Sol, Se, Fa, Mi, Me, Re, Ra, Do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts