Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i'm new on this forum and a complete noob regarding saxophones. I've just started playing in 2010 and after a period of renting, I consider buying my very first own sax. I don't knwo why, but I prefer an older sax with a history over a new one.

I've found this one on the web, can anyone give some advise about this one?
The seller says it has been checked last year. Asking price 750 EUR (I'm situated in Belgium). My teacher will go along for testing the sax on leaks etc.

thanks for reading

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
That would be from the mid to late 1920s. Comparing to US prices, it is a bit high. Some like the Kings but most prefer the Conns, Martins and Bueschers, all good horns. Example: I sell the old US horns like that for about $600US. Of course being able to try the King is a good idea.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
That is actually VERY expensive for a King that old. As Bruce says, if it is set up very well and has NO issues, and you and your teacher like it....even considering there are fewer Kings in EU than in usa, it is only worth about what Bruce mentions.

I would not go so far as to say Kings are less preferable than any of the other american vintage makes. I think a horn THAT old just isn't highly sought-after... regardless if it is a Martin, King, Buescher, Conn, or any brand really. 1920's saxes generally do not have much market value, really.

I mean, I can sell you a 50's King Zephyr for 750 eu, shipped to you. You can get a King Cleveland alto for around $400usd in great shape; and that would be a much better horn than this one.
Even arguably the BEST Alto of that period, the Conn NW-II ('Chu Berry'), in Silverplate, should only run you about what this one is priced at.....

Do try it if you are near, and ask if they have other vintage horns as well.....but, again, not a realistic price tag for that particular Alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have an alto like the one you posted . . . a bit older than yours (serial 71XXX) and with what looks like a VERY worn gold-plate. It plays okay if not a bit stuffy. For sure, it isn't nearly the great player that my 1924 (or so) Buescher TT is, nor my 1932 Selmer Cigar Cutter. I think the price is way too high. DAVE

·
21,033 Posts
Some examples of what I have sold older US horns for:
Martin HC - Gold plated $950
Martin Comm II and III $600-900
Martin Comm III (Music Man, Magna $1,000-1,600
Conn NW - $700-900
Conn 6M (later) $700
Buescher TT roller G#, front F - $600-900 (silver, gold plate)
Buescher TT series II - $450

All in good playing condition and some with 98% plating.

Not trying to keep you from the King but as Jaye and Dave mention, you may be better off waiting for a nice player to come up in Belgium or NL that you can also try. I have a Mark VI Selmer and always use a Martin or Conn. My main alto is a Conn from 1923, a great free blowing alto and I have about 22 altos right now.

·
21,033 Posts
Forgot to mention that there is a member here at SOTW that is in NL and his username is Milandro. He knows a lot about saxes and is near you so he may be of help guiding you in the right direction. Also look at the UK sites as it is not all that far by train and there could be some nice altos floating around there. Check the marketplace here at SOTW in the Horns for Sale section as we have a lot of players in N Europe and South England.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts