Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I currently own a Gold Lacquer P. Mauriat system 76 tenor which has Abalone pearls with it. For some reason I can’t stand the way they look, I hate them and I want to get a tech to replace them with the plain white ones. Can any of you tell me which kind would fit my system 76? I know there are concave and convex and different sizes and I have no clue where to find information on this. I will post the link to where I am looking to oder the pearls. Thanks!

https://musicmedic.com/products/repair-supplies/saxophone-pearls.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
replacing pearls is not easy as it looks, many horns may have a retainer ring, but I seem to see from pictures, that you are in luck. They don’t look like they have a retainer ring.

They certainly look concave.

I don’t understand why can’t you simply measure your pearl and order them. It is your horn that you are looking for pearls no? Replacing the entire set will cost a fairly pretty penny! There are, I think, cheaper options out there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
Most Taiwanese saxes use pearls that are the same size as Selmer Paris pearls. Measure your pearls carefully with a caliper. It probably won't be hard to find a friend with a Selmer. Measure the Selmer's pearls. If they are the same size, almost any repair tech has access to Selmer pearls from Selmer or from Allied Supply. It's best to let the repair person do the swap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,398 Posts
I have bought white abalone shell 'pearls' on Amazon for $4 a set, including 2 ovals. I used the ovals to add to my bari which came with plain oval keys. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. At this price, however, you will not get a lot of visual 'definition' like you would see in genuine nacre (MoP) buttons on a Selmer or other premium sax, but they look a heluva lot better than plastic. Your problem is in getting the old abalone shells out without damaging the sax, measuring the holders, getting the right 'pearls' and installing them without getting glue all over everything. I used Super Glue on mine but if I do any more I will use 'Clear Gorilla Glue'. You would use a small amount so it will spread when you press the pearl into place but not enough to ooze out. This glue will give you ample time to adjust or even remove the pearls. It will cure overnight and assuming clean bonding surfaces will most likely never fail. There is also a Super Glue that has a limited time for adjustment and will be cured within a half-hour. There are probably some other adhesives that will work too but the ones I mentioned are the 'industrial-grade' solutions that will not fail.
Notwithstanding that, I have to recommend that you just get used to the abalone buttons and forget about changing them out.

View attachment 241702 View attachment 241704

1 - 4 of 4 Posts