1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Here's the deal, I got out of army last
Oct after suffering a blast injury overseas resulting in lip damage,
Loss of 11 front teeth, and both upper and lower supporting bones.

I have a set of dentures now, but without the bone I can't keep them solid in place.
The va is telling me it's going to be about 4-5 years at best case scenario.

I can't wait that long to play. I can't.
Is there any way to have a support mouthpiece or anyone know any toothless techniques?
Please help!
Thanks!
Dan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,291 Posts
Wow! I thank you for your service to your country. That being said - have you just tried to play? I'm sure changes in embouchure will be necessary but it seems to me that you can do this with a little patience. It's bound to be different but not necessarily worse once you get the hang of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,644 Posts
this could be the application for an invention by Ron Irving. http://www.ronirving.com/ [email protected]

Ron has invented a " mask" which helps those who have problems at forming an embouchure because of certain impairments. the " mask" is worn on the face and with an opening for one's lips. When tensing the front facial muscles and blowing, the mask creates a back and downward force, by means of the masks resistance, which transforms itself into and action which is tightening the lips in an fashion which forms a sufficiently tight embouchure. I think that it would be working also to create a an embouchure also if you don't have much in the manner of teeth and bones to support a traditional embouchure.

I received a prototype which I did try (although I am fortunate not to be embouchure impaired) and I could appreciate its merits. The prototype wasn't particularly pretty but Ron was thinking, at the time, to improve its looks and performance by making this into a a neoprene commercial product

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@fader, thank you for your support! Sadly though I have tried to play and can't get a sound, I'm not able
To put enough pressure down without cutting into my lip from other partial teeth.

@Michael, thank you, knowing people support us back home helps Alot. I am familiar with a double lip technique, but the problem with that is either A, I have my dentures in but they won't hold and it's not fun when there shaking. Or B, I try double lip, but there is no support for top or bottom and I can't get enough pressure without cutting into my lip with other partial teeth.

@milandro,
I looked on the website and good and can't find any mask :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,644 Posts
he doesn't have it on his website, it was a prototype of an idea that he wanted to develop, get in touch with Ron , I have sent him an email to alert him about this thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,291 Posts
Here's an idea that's imperfect but will let you experience the joy of making music again on a wind instrument. Get a yamaha WX5 MIDI wind controller and a VL70 tone module. It's not the same but it's close. The fingerings are almost identical and very little pressure is required to manipulate notes in a very convincing and musical way. In some ways its far more versatile than a sax. Good luck and godspeed on your recovery. Oh - And welcome to the forum. There are a lot of cool folks here and some have worked through some pretty big challenges....

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,185 Posts
4-5 years is way too long. I have been in the V.A. system for 21 years so I can give you real advice. You need to be extremely aggressive in advocating for yourself. Do not allow the V.A. to set timetables for your care. If they are unable to provide you with the medical care you require to live a full and happy life then they are obligated to send you to a private dentist in order to meet your needs. First off contact the VFW and DAV and any other Veteran's organization you can and find out if they will advocate for you. Second, write your congressperson, write the V.A. director and also join Facebook and link up with the V.A.'s facebook page.

The facebook page will afford you the opportunity to make public the problems you may be facing which are preventing you from living your life to its fullest extent. Also, never forget that YOU EARNED IT!

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
729 Posts
I have heard a case of a player who uses upper and lower dentures because he has no teeth, but he has an special set (another dentures)to play sax, where the front teeth were partially chopped to allows him to enter the piece and hold it. He support all the force with the molars teeth, locking the upper and lower dentures, but he can use the lips to control the reed and the piece without worrying to hold it because it´s locked in he mouth.
I don´t know if this can work on your case but you can ask your dentist about this and maybe found a solution together.
Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
SOTW member Swampcabbage,was hampered by a bout of Bell's Palsy. He had posted here some pictures of a device he cobbled together to help him support his jaw. Try PMing him to see if he may have some suggestions.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,586 Posts
I don't know if this will work, but you may be able to play 'off set'.
That is hold the mouthpiece off to the side of your mouth rather than coming in from the front.
If you have already tried this I apologize for the suggestion.

And again, THANK YOU for your service!
My oldest daughter and her husband are currently serving in the Air Force, and within the next year my youngest daughter will be a newly graduated Airman. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts