Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Martin bari owners,

I have recently got a great Martin Bari with left-side bell keys (lower Bb model), should be from 1962. I love the horn so much I couldn't put it down since the day i got it. I really wanna bring it to gigs too but the original case's condition is so bad. I need to buy a newer case for that but since I live in Hong Kong there is not much choice for me here but must buy from Ebay... but i cannot try with the choices i found from Ebay....

My question is that: any lower priced bari case you suggest which is good from my old Martin bari? I'm interested in SKB bari case, what do you think? will it fit? any suggestions from your Martin bari owner is appreciated. thx in advance!

nick

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a "Bags" gig bag for my Martin. Works fine for me. However, if you want to protect your sax from damage caused by very rough handling, you absolutely need a hard case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx jthole, you are right I definately need a "case", gig bag is too dangerouns for my baby...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Btw, a Martin bari is a great choice, especially once you get the intonation issues sorted out!

The only thing that I really miss is the low A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jthole, you are right i did have the intonation problem which i have to pull the mouthpiece all the way back (almost fall off from the neck) to get the bari in tone. My friend told me i have to buy an expensive over priced vintage long shank Selmer mpc or some sort to solve the problem, but instead i extended the neck "one inch longer" by solder a brass tube on the neck piece, it works extremely well and now i can use any mpc with no intonation problem at all! I just love the sound man, it's so fat my bandmates are calling my bari "fat lady"! Can't believe it man!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I just love the sound man, it's so fat my bandmates are calling my bari "fat lady"! Can't believe it man!
Yes, I agree ... I've played several vintage baris, but the Martin sound is something special. And I can really recommend an Erik Greiffenhagen customized mouthpiece. It works really well with my The Martin!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks eveybody! I think i should head for a ProTec then... Anyone know if the Martin bari can fit into a SKB hardcase?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Thanks, lhoffman.

I must be thick. I just could not tell for certain reading blerbs from the company.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Martin bari will fit in the SKB after some massage to give the bell enough clearance to close the case. The EG modified bari piece will probably solve most of the Martin's intonation issues. MartinMods also has several fixes for this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts