Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post, great forum!! would appreciate some sound advice on alto mouthpiece selection...i am 12 yrs old-been playing alto for around 2yrs.-currently using a selmer c*, which is recommended by my school band instructor. but my passion is contempo/smooth jazz in the likes of sanborn & gwj, with that being said i am in the market for an jazz mp-i live in hawaii, and i am very limmited as far as trying out different brand mp's or multiple mp's of the same kind, therefore i can only go from hearsay & what posters have been saying. would also like to keep price around $100 (no metal due to embochure & price).

i have narrowed my decision down to four.j.jazz hr 7m, meyer 6m, vandoren v16 A7M & beechler s5s.

-of the 4 what would you guys recommend? looking forward to youre results... thx guys !!!

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
martysax said:
ask Gary.
Like he's going to know where to find Gary. Go to members list, find Gary, and ask him this question by private messaging him.
Like martysax said, just a little more justified.
I hope I'm not scaring you off. I like new members.:D

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
You live in Hawaii? Do you know Hakukani?

I'd go with the Meyer 6M. That would be a nice upgrade from the C*.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Go for a meyer 5 or 6, they work for me. Stay away from a seven so early on a five should be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
NO!!! Don't PM Gary. He's very surly.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Can you go try out these mouthpieces?

Your local dealer should have Meyer mouthpieces. The 5M and the 6M are good transitional mouthpieces from the C*.

Meyer's aren't really "smooth" jazz for me though. They feel too punchy, in my opinion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I would say get a Meyer 5 or 6 (be sure to try them first, you may or may not need softer reeds). Play them with Vandoren V16s and you can get a decent amount of edge (just don't play them in concert band). In a few years, then try a high or medium baffle mouthpiece if you can. That is my advice, for what it's worth.

you may also want to try a Rousseau JDX 4,5, or 6. They are edgy, but very controlable.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
kavala said:
Ask Hakukani.

He also lives in Hawaii.
I forgot the question.

Where you stay, brah?

I stay ovah heah on Big Island.

PM me, or answer this thread.

Welcome to SOTW.

Errr...are you 46 or 12?

·
Registered
19 Posts
b4 you go out and purchase a $100 mpc you may not like or be ready for just yet, you may want to give Kessler's NY50 a try. It's very similar to a Meyer 5. Goes for $49 @ kesslermusic.com. Sounds pretty good on my old Buescher and you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow!! thx guys!! for youre quick responses. in regards with majority selecting the meyer mp-i have heard that the new ones are very inconsistent, so going back to my to what i had posted earlier, that i would not have the luxuary of testing them out b4 purchase. bottom line is that i would have to purchase online through ebay etc. would like to purchase a mp that is consistent right out of the box. (like the vandoren)-which i had read somewhere on this forum. thx again guys !! for youre help !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hakukani said:
I forgot the question.

Where you stay, brah?

I stay ovah heah on Big Island.

PM me, or answer this thread.

Welcome to SOTW.

Errr...are you 46 or 12?
aloha! Hakukani. some posters have been redirecting me to you, since you also live in Hawaii, i for one live on Oahu. the question i had put out earlier is that i have been using by c* now for 2 yrs now, & recently wanted to try a mp made for contemporary jazz (sanborn,gwj,albright etc) my choices have come down to the meyer, vadoren v16, beechler & the j.jazz- all hr mp's. would like to purchase online new that would be consistent right out of the box.

-would appreciate any advice.. thx & much mahalo!!

btw. im 12, my pop is the registered user.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
The Meyers are awesome pieces but listen to what 52Conn10r said, Kessler's piece is very similar to the Meyer. Can't be beat for $50. It will be a high quality and consistent piece with no hassles.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Martinman said:
I would say get a Meyer 5 or 6 (be sure to try them first, you may or may not need softer reeds). Play them with Vandoren V16s and you can get a decent amount of edge (just don't play them in concert band). In a few years, then try a high or medium baffle mouthpiece if you can. That is my advice, for what it's worth.

you may also want to try a Rousseau JDX 4,5, or 6. They are edgy, but very controlable.
I agree with this...although, you might try a Rousseau Studio Jazz instead of a JDX...

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
bluesaxgirl said:
Like he's going to know where to find Gary. Go to members list, find Gary, and ask him this question by private messaging him.
Like martysax said, just a little more justified.
I hope I'm not scaring you off. I like new members.:D
No, don't PM him.

I'm sorry, I'm the ***!

I'm the opposite of a distinguished member, don't take me seriously. Just ask my wife. Do you think she'd still be with me if I was serious?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I would also recomend a Meyer, My main piece for a while was a 7M, which is pretty wide, but it played nicely. I think I got mine for $60. Also consider Runyon Custom. Its a hard rubber piece, very easy to control. I am guessing you have a $100 to spend. The ligature it comes with is awful, but I like a Eddie Daniels on my Tenor C**, and I may get another couple too. They are a tad expensive run about $40. But they are very good leather ligatures. Look kinda cool too.

Ohh and stay away from Gary. He knows what he is talking about with mouthpieces and equipment, but he has a very HOUSE way of saying it. If you watch house you know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Either the Meyer or the Vandoren should do you fine. Just make sure you go for the medium-chambered Vandy...the small one is very bright and harder to control. I have an A7S.

Though, now that I read your first post again, that might be just what you're looking for. I like my Yani, but it's a different beast.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts