Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my name is Dor, i'm 21, i play the clarinet since the 3rd grade and in highschool i started playing alto saxophone.
i played mainly classical music in both instruments so when it comes to jazz improvisation, i recently started to get more serious about that/
i listen to all the great ones (john coltraine, charley parker, duke elington, etc...)
i practice scales each time i play.
i know that is it important to know chords in order to improvise trough patterns, does anyone have a good idea how to learn chord's in saxophone in a way that can be easily applied later when improvising?

another question is, that i want to but a selmer s-80c* or a selmer soloist mouthpiece, what ligature would u reccomend to go with them? would BG work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i practiced all major and minor scales, doing all the notes from lowest to highest.
that's what i meant when i said i know the scales.
i know that in order to achieve complete control over the scale you need to practice alot more than just that, i dont know exacly what.
at this point people usually suggest i should learn with a teacher, and i must explain to them that i can't really, i'm at the army (israel) and i only return home after three weeks, but i do have time to practice so i appriciate any advise.
indeed english is my second languege.

that's about what i know when i say i know scales, that and the I chord in each scale.
i know about the principle of tention and release (tunic, dominant, and subdominant) though i dont know how to aplly that principle when i improvise, even though i know that the I, III make up the tunic
the II, IV, VI, make the subdominant
the V, VII make the dominant.
i need good exercise in order to apply it.

by the way i dont play the piano.
and thank you to all who answered my question's so far, you have been very helpfull.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts