Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies ahead of time if I could have found this info elsewhere. I'm new, I did look for a search prior to asking with no avail.

Years ago I was gifted this Conn alto, I practiced for perhaps a year, to never pick it up again. I want to sell it, get it to someone who would find use of it.

The serial # stamped upon it is N189604. I have the Hard case, strap, A Claude Lakey ? 4*4 mouth piece as well as well as original mouth piece. I'm sure it needs to be repadded. The finish is fair/good. I've taken care of the movements to keep things lubricated and smooth, as well as polished up.

No idea what to ask for it, or where to post it...any guildance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. So far I was told it is perhaps vintage 70's. It is not a "Shooting stars"...it has what appears to be somewhat of a floral pattern with the name in the midst of it. As well, nothing stating it was made in Mexico (as someone had perhaps suggested ).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
I would say 80s or even 90s. If it needs pads, maybe $75-100. The Lakey mouthpiece is worth as much or more than the horn.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It could be a 7/18/20m... probably a 18/20m. Does it have high f#, does it have pearls on the bell keyguards, does the bell brace look like the one in the photo I posted, do the right hand pinky keys look like the ones in the photo I posted?

If it's an 18/20m I've seen them go anywhere from 90-140 on ebay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be a 7/18/20m... probably a 18/20m. Does it have high f#, does it have pearls on the bell keyguards, does the bell brace look like the one in the photo I posted, do the right hand pinky keys look like the ones in the photo I posted?

If it's an 18/20m I've seen them go anywhere from 90-140 on ebay.
Yes to everything except the pearls on the bell key guards.
Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Yes, it's an 18M or a 20M...these weren't even MADE by Conn actually. Might have been subcontracted to Armstrong or Blessing or Reynolds. They have zero specs/attributes of any other Conn alto ever made...and every tech I have brought these to... says the same thing: "Conn ? This wasn't made by Conn..."

These two are sorta odd, "bridge" models between the Director series 14M/50M and the later 21M/24M/25M's.

I have a theory that between the time Conn ditched their production/tooling for the Director series horns.... and had their tooling up and running for the 21/24/25's....they had to fill a gap in production with some subcontracted models.

Meth is about right on market value. One is top-notch shape is only worth about $200.
Best to be said for them is that they don't feel bad, and are sturdy enough, for sure....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts