Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's got to be from the mid-50s or earlier-- it's been owned since then by a lady who played it back in high school. But the odd serial number hasn't helped me pin down its origins. I'm wondering it deserves the complete overhaul necessary to be playable, or should just be hung on the wall. She gave it to me, so my budget's not hurting so far.
View attachment 239776 View attachment 239778 View attachment 239780 View attachment 239782

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your answer is right under the serial number. It is a Buescher Elkhart Model 30A. The Elkhart line had its own serial numbers. I do not know if there is an available list but if there is it is probably on this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your answer is right under the serial number. It is a Buescher Elkhart Model 30A. The Elkhart line had its own serial numbers. I do not know if there is an available list but if there is it is probably on this forum somewhere.
With the tips provided by you and Turf3 I plunged back into the Buescher/Bundy/Elkhart/Selmer thicket but emerged still without a specific window of mfg dates. It seems clear that it's something Buescher made for Selmer, and that if it's not simply a disguised Buescher it still might be a respectable-sounding axe. Probably not a good one to refurbish with the idea of making any profit on it, but since I'm motivated more by curiosity and aesthetics I'll think I'll go ahead and fix it up.

Thanks all for yer help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
872 Posts
From the research I've done, I've been able to piece a little bit of this together. I'd say yours was probably made in 1947 or 1948.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts