Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm beginner saxophonist and I just started my first lessons. I have to say that this forum and the site has been a real goldmine for me, there's so much information about playing saxophone I'm just overwhelmed by it, in a good way.

So I just bought my first sax and I had some luck because I was able to buy it straight from my teacher (it was actually his dad's). My teacher suspected that the sax might be Amati. What do you think, what brand is this? There are no other markings on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
it’s a Russian made sax , not made by Amati. A Moscow Music works brand I believe.

As almost anything else, we’ve come across this type of sax few times before.

Some folks aren’t too displeased with them but they are worth very little on the market.

I hope you didn’t pay much, in my opinion if you have this overhauled you will never get back the money that you invest in your overhaul.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hope you didn't pay too much for it. Might be an ok sax, but not very sought after and doesn't have that much value other than what someone might give it sentimental wise for example.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Since you bought it from your teacher my guess is the sax will be fine, and probably plays well already. If he played it for you, down to its low Bb, you’re good to go. Don’t get caught up in the “have it checked out by a tech” syndrome. No teacher will sell a student a sax that doesn’t work. He would lose all his students in short order via word-of-mouth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! I paid 350€ for it with a sturdy Selmer case (basically bomb-proof!), two mouthpieces (i guess the second one is original mpc and the other one was P.Jeegers classic jazz custom). It played fine in my teachers hand and absolutely trust him for it being great beginner sax 🙂

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
it is not a bad price.

Hopefully it will serve you for a long time.

Nowadays the cost of overhauls has reached such extremes that if you ever have to spend in excess of €500 ( average cost of a not too sophisticated overhaul in most of Europe) to repad it this would exceed its market value.
Let’s hope you don’t.

Read about it here (follow this link)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?203284-Help-Identifying-a-Soviet-tenor

Apparently it is called a Marx SAX ( not Mark SIX) :whistle:

good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts