Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been offered a selmer (usa) tenor saxophone for £300,she said there was a few interested which could be true as it sounds true good to be true to me but i have asked loads of questions and the only thing she can tell me is it has the "s" on the neck.My question is would this be a liberty ,conn,prelude etc or does just the true selmers have an "s" on the neck? or have i found a proper selmer mark vi etc.Any advise would be great as i dont fancy driving 100 miles for a prelude but will be in my car in a flash if it is a true selmer.Thanks for reading Mark

·
Registered
297 Posts
Serial number? Engraving? Made in France? Surely she can give you more information. I'm sure there are guys here who can give you lots of details to look for. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. But good luck. Maybe you'll land a treasure!

·
Registered
152 Posts
well, i think you answered your own question (if i read correctly) selmer mark vi's were made in france, not usa. however, it does seam odd that theres an s on the neck. thats generally something you only find on the top end horns. it may be possible that she's put a mark vi (or simmilar) neck on a selmer usa horn.

either way, if you could get some pics, they'd be helpful. mark vi's have a pretty recognisable key layout

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
If it's a Selmer USA with an S on the neck - it might be a 1980's Omega type horn. Here's a link to one for sale:

https://www.junkdude.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id_product=2504

From what I understand, Selmer USA division wanted to create a true professional horn. I use to work in a music store in the early 1990's and we sold a LOT of these type horns. Could be a nice instrument but not a big money horn. Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am clueless and didn't realise that mark v1's were made in france.I am going to have a look at it and see if i can find any marks on it.May try to get her down and even if it is a different selmer £300 seems very cheap.The only thing she told me was she has had it for 2 yrs got it from a chap moving to America and was serviced 6 months before she got it.When i go i presume the marking will be on the bell part anything i should look for apart from that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for been a pain but what would be a good serial number to look for? i have asked her to try and find one but not convinced so may need an idea when i go to check it out.

·
5,315 Posts
Serial numbers of Selmer USA may be difficult to work with. Best to get a photos and post - then we can figure out the model.

·
Registered
865 Posts
sorry for been a pain but what would be a good serial number to look for? i have asked her to try and find one but not convinced so may need an idea when i go to check it out.
IMHO: If it is between 823xxx to 828xxx then it'd very much be an "Omega", which is an awesome deal for £300 ($500US ?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have asked for a load of pictures including neck,key layout,bell etc so hopefully she will get back to me tonight but think it will be tomorrow around 11:00am gmt as this is when she has answered my previous e-mails.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Pictures look like an Omega indeed. Nice find for that price, if it's in gooed condition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might be an omega but the seriel number doesn't seem to fall into their range from what i can find, as Dan said when i looked them up was expecting a seriel number starting with an 82

·
5,315 Posts
Doesn't look like an Omega. Nickel plated keys, no alt F# pearl, no rocking Low Bb mechanism, no engraving. Looks like a student model. I would pass on this and spend the money on YTS-23.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got an error when I tried to view your pics. Going by A Greene's reply though, if the keys are nickle-plated, it's not one of Selmer USA's pro horns.

The model 164 and TS100 horns will have a serial # in the 8xx,xxx range. They also will not have 'Omega' anywhere on them. Instead, there is just a 'USA' engraved on the bell.

*edit*
Right after I posted this I clicked the link for your pics again and it worked. The horn in those pics has no engraving on the bell. The Selmer USA pro horns have very elaborate engraving. That horn is definitely not a model 164 or TS100.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to you all i have not bought it.My daughter is waiting until next year for a new saxophone but i am always looking for a bargain! and trying to save some more money.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Thanks to you all i have not bought it.
Good decision. It's very difficult to get a bargain unless you really know what to look out for. I am finding most of the bargains these days tend to be new horns. There are still some great vintage horns to be had if you know your stuff, but it can still be very risky, especially regarding condition of the instrument and what it might cost to get in playing order.

I know other people have different experiences, I can only speak for myself and the advice I would give.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
77 Posts
With some patience and scrounging you may be able to get a great deal on a Selmer USA Omega or similar sax made in the 1980's era. The neck DOES have an S on the octave key, but it's in a diamond shape. The good ones have extensive engraving on the bell and will also have blued needle springs and originally metal domed resonators. The intermediate model also has lots of bell engraving, but will have white metal springs with blunt ends and originally the resonators will be the selmer style ones with brown plastic resonators. The pro models are excellent saxes and usually are to be had at bargain prices, since many do not know how to identify them. Serial numbers generally fall around 820,000 and up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts