Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just restored a vintage Buescher alto that doesn't seem to conform to any
model commonly listed. It has left hand bell like an Aristocrat, but the G# and
roller setup are the two roller configuration of a Tru-tone, but with a crescent
G# without the round mother of pearl. This horn was built without Norton
springs or snap-in pads. The serial number is R20751, and is the only engraving
near the thumb rest. The only other engraving is on the bell. There is no
model name, only 'BUESCHER' and 'ELKHART IND.'. The picture engraved on the
bell is of a straight front slant-nose (as opposed to earlier round nose
shrouds) streamliner locomotive that didn't exist prior to the mid to late
thirties.

Is this possibly a Buescher branded prototype stencil for something like the
Gretsch Commander? Except for the added 'R', the serial number dates it to 1913, but the engraving and
left side bell keys date it 25 years later. The bell key guard is a slightly simplified
version of the Aristocrat set up and the solder pads are round instead of the
usual diamond shape.[/LEFT][/LEFT]

With all new pads and a new rod set and level tone holes, it plays beautifully. Light action with an amazing vintage tone. I want to sell it to promote the quality of my restoration work, but I don't know what to list it as.

I can send pictures in an email, but I haven't figured out how to attach them here yet.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
It almost certainly is some kind of stencil. Send the pictures to [email protected] and I'll upload them to SOTW.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
That sounds like an Elkhart brand serial number. The sax itself sounds like an Elkhart. I vote on some kind of stencil.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,876 Posts
It's got a locomotive engraved on the bell? I --- want one.

Makes sense, too -- they're both loud metal devices with lots of moving parts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Here are the pictures. Comments?

·
Registered
354 Posts
It would be neat to have somewhere to put pix of all these stenciled Bueschers.... that train engraving is really cool.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
I would put this one in the late 1930s due to the LH pinky table and the train looking like the type used in the late 30s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
The body bands look like Conn's - and not the plain stencil type either, but the machine-turned type used on brand-name Conns.
No it doesn't. Don't let the trim rings fool you. Those are Buescher, I've seen a lot of stencils (Windsor comes to mind) with those STAMPED trim rings. They look turned but they ain't. Plus it doesn't have the side F# on the back like conns. And the octave mechanism is nothing like Conn's octave mechanisms.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just found your post while looking for images of a True Tone lh pinky table.
I'm trying to determine provenance on an alto stencilled "The Martin" which looks an awful lot like this horn here; same pinky cluster, same shape bell brace plate, even has the "R" serial number. Curious. If you're interested, the thread I started is titled When is a Martin not a Martin?
I guess the answer is looking like, "When it's a Buescher".

·
Registered
354 Posts
No it doesn't. Don't let the trim rings fool you. Those are Buescher, I've seen a lot of stencils (Windsor comes to mind) with those STAMPED trim rings. They look turned but they ain't. Plus it doesn't have the side F# on the back like conns. And the octave mechanism is nothing like Conn's octave mechanisms.
Juan is on the money here... we have a silver plate Windsor here with bands exactly like that, and for that matter, the bell keys and guards match, too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks like the grandmother of all of them "Elkhart Built By Buescher" horns.
I have one like that with art deco engraving saying "Elkhart" (no Buescher).. basically TT series-2 pinky table and register mechanism with 'crat left side bell. Plays very nice, better then my big B!

It is actually a mystery as it has been stated that it was made by Elkhart Band Instrument Company using old Buescher tooling, somewhere btw 1927 and prior to 1936 when Beardsley died and EBIC was merged into Buescher and became a 2nd tier line for Buescher.

Mine has a 4 digit R6XXX number, so I am guessing the one in pictures had to be made at point when EBIC was merged into Buescher, but before they redesigned it into Elkhart 20A, around 1936?

to OP: good luck selling it as it has no value, ~$200 tops. They go cheaper then TTs. Great horn though

EDIT: check neck it should have a number 01 stamped. I suspect necks on these were procured from Buescher even when they weren't made at Buescher facility

1 - 13 of 13 Posts