Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place for such a question.

I recently came across this sax, and couldn't find any information with my limited knowledge and google searching. I know next to nothing about saxophones, but would like to expand that knowledge.

This particular sax is very small, about 19 inches from top to bottom. It's stamped/engraved "Gerard Flamal", which I couldn't find any info about (might not be exactly this as the engraving is somewhat worn, but that's as close as I can discern).

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5111/mysterysax1.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5639/mysterysax2.jpg

That's about all I've got - like I said, I'm a huge newbie. I don't even know what type of sax this is, let alone anything about the manufacturer.

Any information you guys could provide would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First,

It's a curved soprano sax. That's why it's small. I will chime with more later.

And Welcome to SOTW!

·
5,528 Posts
On Google, there is one reference to a "Gerard Flemal" sax as being made by Keilwerth. But the link has changed and it's not in English.

·
5,528 Posts
There is a notable Jazz reed and possibly-brass playing musician named Gerard Flemal. He recorded in 1983-1985.

I also found Gerard Flemal trumpets for sale on French websites.

Is there anything on your sax to note what country it was made in? I suspect it is an Asian import marketed through Keilweth in the European market. But if it was made in Germany, it might be a real Keilwerth stencil. That might indicate it is a good quality sax.

CHECK THAT: After looking at the photos, I see nothing to indicate that it could be a German Keilwerth. But then again, I'm not a Keilwerth expert. So I still vote for Asian import with possible Keilwerth marketing ties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for all your help so far.

Close inspection of the sax reveals no other markings besides what appears to be a serial number in a few various places (same #).

There's no country of manufacture - no markings at all besides the "GF" logo, "Gerard Flemal", the floral pattern, and the serial number(s).

·
5,528 Posts
One thing that is unusual about this particular curved soprano is the true overslung neck with the octave key lever on front side and the actuating arm coming around from the left. I haven't seen a picture of one like that before. Most modern curved sopranos have an underslung octave key with the key hing and actuator on back side. Also, it that neck removable or is it fixed?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yep, curved soprano.
I only feel qualified to point out that it is sitting backward on that sax stand, and the mouthpiece is on upside-down (with no reed).
        ...and it's quite shiny. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
On Google, there is one reference to a "Gerard Flemal" sax as being made by Keilwerth. But the link has changed and it's not in English.
Most non-english words and phrases can be copied and pasted onto babelfish for translation. I do it regularly when corresponding with an Italian friend.

·
5,528 Posts
Most non-english words and phrases can be copied and pasted onto babelfish for translation. I do it regularly when corresponding with an Italian friend.
Yep,

You can also just click on the "Translate" link that follows the listing on Google. It's a one-click deal. But the point is that there were no English references to this brand. And that usually indicates it has not be marketed in the US. That was my point. :bluewink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts