Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really unusual custom mouthpiece here, and could use help identifying it. Somebody apparently had the intriguing idea to modify a mouthpiece so it could be converted from alto to tenor. Viability aside, for the moment, whoever created it essentially cut the shank off of a metal mouthpiece, and created a removable shank. Without the shank, it fits on an alto; with it, it fits on a tenor. It is notable that it came from an estate sale originally, that also included alto, tenor, and c-melody saxes (including a Conn with a micro tuner neck), so the original modification might have been intended to compensate for a micro tuner. Personally, I found neither configuration worked well on c-melody, but based on other modifications to horns and mouthpieces from the estate - every sax mouthpiece in the estate had its shank removed - the player must have had a really loose embouchure and pushed his/her mouthpieces on a long way, so it might have worked for him/her.

After inspecting the mouthpiece closely, I was able to find evidence of markings that would have identified the make and model of the original piece: what appears to be a partial diamond or triangle shaped logo stamp, and a “7” identifying the facing. Unfortunately, the shank was cut off right through the logo, rendering the text illegible! I’m hoping somebody here recognizes it. The original would have been silver plated (based on traces of plating that remain in the rails, logo, and around the bite plate), and had rails for a ligature similar to a Lawton (although the current ligature was clearly something a previous owner custom made/modified).

I suspect I’ll be selling this piece, eventually, but I’d like to know what it is/was so I can identify in any future listings. Any insight would be appreciated!

B1F9254E-99CC-4D8F-8220-E1AB60906078.jpg 3AE0F50D-EBA3-4BFE-90DC-FCCAAB1A220F.jpg
CBC448C7-597F-4FC9-AB07-4724489FCAC6.jpg 0029A97F-6801-440B-A431-0249F7ADD0BE.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I had already discounted the possibility of it being a Lelandais, as the logo design for their pieces seems pretty consistent - slant signature, with an “AL” in a box above and to the left - but the chamber design is comparable to a Le Jaseur.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts