1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
We don't know what you were playing before, but if ALL you are going to play is dixieland...What better way to play it than with a great horn from that era? With a budget of up to $1500 you can get a great vintage tenor in top playing shape. Look around the marketplace, there are several. Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on a Selmer Super Action 80 Series 2, but never was able to get a good tone out of it. I think the bore was too big for my intermediate chops.

I am going to be in a dixieland band, but would like to keep playing different types of music.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Contack Russ Becker woodwinds here:

http://www.russbecker.com/id17.html

Buy yourself a bauhaus walstein bronze tenor for under 1k. He gives you a week to try it out and have your local tech take a look at it.

This is not your only option for the budget you are working with. Phil Barone might be another option. Keep your eyes on our forum's for sale section as well.

·
3,581 Posts
Whatever horn you get, it will take a lot of work to get your chops back. Just browsing the marketplace, and there are 5-6 tenors at $1600 or less (some around $600) that I would consider. That is just on the first page! There are a lot of great sellers/ buyers on here, and I've dealt with many of them in trades, buys and sells. Way more comfortable dealing here than on eBay.

My idea? Spend $1000 or less on the sax, take private lessons for the summer, and if needed, you can buy a nice mouthpiece at the end of the summer with the left-over cash.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
+1 for the mouthpiece. As long as the horns are airtight you'll find the biggest discernible difference in sound comes from the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Bauhaus-Walstein (as William Bua pointed to eariler) are great, inexpensive saxophones. They are made in China to exacting specs by the company which is based out of the U.K. Just Saxes also carries these horns. They are more expensive than Russ Becker but Palo goes further with the setup and adjustment before shipping.

Phil Barone saxophones are wonderful playing horns at quite an unbelievable price point.

Kessler & Sons also has some nice saxes.

If you want to go vintage, there are a few sellers around SOTW who always have some horns ready to go or some that are waiting in the wings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
For good value vintage horns, check out JayeSF's website, www.2ndending.com (and he usually has more he is working up that are not listed on the site). He is good to deal with, and the horns are in playable condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Thanks for the referral, Art. Peleuno, contact me if you like...I have a whole slew of good Tenors in your pricerange...some quite fabulous ones at the moment, actually....only a few are currently up on my website, I have about a half-dozen getting worked up at the moment as well....

Conn, Borgani, King, Keilwerth/Couf, Holton, Pierret, Vito-Beaugnier (France), Kohlerts...the list goes on.

IMHO...while the above contemporary suggestions aren't bad at all (probably the best nominees in the newer-horn category) you can get a lot more horn for the $ if you go vintage; plus, for Dixie and all...

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you don't care about perfect ergos, but want the (maybe) best sounding horn on the planet (!) get the Rev. D SML JayeSF is offering on his website. I have one as well and need jet to find a fuller, meatier sounding horn.

(This is just my opinion...)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, I appreciate all the help and quick replies.

I've contacted JayeSF and I will probably do business with him. I'm happy not to give ebay/paypal anymore money.

I'm also selling a Selmer SA 80 ii alto is anyone is interested, I posted in the FA forum already.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
If you don't care about perfect ergos, but want the (maybe) best sounding horn on the planet (!) get the Rev. D SML JayeSF is offering on his website. I have one as well and need jet to find a fuller, meatier sounding horn.

(This is just my opinion...)
I am actually shocked I still have this SML...I figured it'd be gone in a week. But heck, I am enjoying playing it myself....although I have had to glue down all loose objects in the house....

·
3,581 Posts
peleuno,

I just read your for sale add for the alto, and saw where you are from. If things don't come together with JayeSF (that Rev. D looks REALLY nice), you should contact Mike Crouch at MacSax...They are in Austin!

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
peleuno,

I just read your for sale add for the alto, and saw where you are from. If things don't come together with JayeSF (that Rev. D looks REALLY nice), you should contact Mike Crouch at MacSax...They are in Austin!

Steve
Will do, thanks for the info! Any good reviews on the macsax horns?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am actually shocked I still have this SML...I figured it'd be gone in a week. But heck, I am enjoying playing it myself....although I have had to glue down all loose objects in the house....
Oh you tell me.. It makes me play low Bb all day long :)
the only problem I have with it is the fact that it isn't mine :( It belongs to my uncle and he won't part with it, although he didn't play it for like 15 years. So I'll borrow for as long as he will allow :)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,929 Posts
I'll second either a bauhaus walstein for a new horn or that SML could be great. If you are in or near Austin then yes, definitely check out MacSax. I haven't tried one personally (as with e SML and BW) but I know Mike Crouch is a straight up guy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts