Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9,653 Posts
How's it play?

Looks to me like someone's reamed out the bore (that little ding on the chamber roof). I have an identical ding on mine, though I wasn't smart enough to stop as quickly so my ding is bigger.

Other than that, it's a hard rubber Link. You'll either like it, or not. I don't think these are particularly valuable but I do think they're darn good mouthpieces.

Who knows, or cares, why the box has 7 printed and 6 written in pencil? That could have happened at any point since the thing was made. Again, for a $150 mouthpiece whether the box is original or not seems of little importance. It's not a high dollar collectible piece (as far as I know), it's a good quality playing mouthpiece.

· Registered
9,653 Posts
Nah, it's not a L250 mouthpiece. I would say more like $125 would probably be a fair price, if it IS "early Babbitt", based on what I've seen out there. Though I"m not an expert on the market value of old HR Links. The "slant signature" adds to the price. An unusual tip opening might also, but a #6 is not unusual.

Is someone trying to sell you this for L250?

· Registered
9,653 Posts
Honestly, for myself I have zero interest in whether a mouthpiece is "Vintage expensive" or "brand new" - it all depends on how it plays.

I also very seriously question whether a $1000 super-rare-vintage mouthpiece, made 80 years ago as a mass production piece using (inherently inconsistent) hand work and 1940 quality control methods, is likely to play any better, or even as well, as a $500 brand new boutique piece made with modern day attention to detail and modern methods. That super-rare super-expensive old mouthpiece was probably retailed for the equivalent price of today's fairly nice production pieces - say $150.

· Registered
9,653 Posts
That looks like about $192 in now money. Brand new Otto Link metals for tenor look to run around $200-300 depending on the model. I think paying $1000 in today's money for something made 80 years ago to about the same standards as something you can buy today for $300 is not a good bet. If I were going to spend $1000 in today's money on a sax mouthpiece I'd buy one of the high end boutique pieces and have a bunch of money left over for reeds and lessons.

· Registered
9,653 Posts
It's an old Otto Link, with the original machine-cut facing.

If the "otto link" is straight across and not at an angle, then it's not one of the highly sought after "slant sig" Links. I don't know what current collector pricing is on something like this, but I have a #10 that looks real similar and I estimate its value at about $200, so I suspect yours being a more common facing is a bit less. For 50 Euro, and you say it plays great, that's a great deal. I would suggest using it, not trying to flip it for a profit.

· Registered
9,653 Posts
I'd try softer reeds. Personally I play a #6 or 6* (Can't remember right now and I'm too lazy to go open up the case) Link with about #2 1/2 Vandorens. I would not fool with the original unmolested facing.

· Registered
9,653 Posts
Link seems a little fatter externally but that might be the lighting and its matte surface vs. the other two's shiny surfaces.

Are you saying all three of these play about the same? Looking at the chambers that's what I'd expect. The two new pieces MIGHT be a tiny bit smaller inside?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.