Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long subject (title) but I was trying to be specific.

I recorded (from the radio) a version of Somewhere over the Rainbow sometime between 1981 and 1984.
I think it was an old version of the song but I don't know for sure.

It was done by what sounded like a small combo of tenor sax, piano, bass and drums (if memory serves me correctly).
The sax player starts out alone and later the rest of the group joins.
It's a nice light jazz feel.
The sax player also adds lots of nice licks into the melody as he/she plays it.

I was SURE I had this recording on cassette tape but after searching through countless tapes over the past week, I can't seem to find it.

My son's piano teacher heard something similar on the radio and wanted to know if I could play it for a recital.
I was going to play her the version I thought I had to see if it's what she heard.

Anyone have any idea what group/artist this might have been.

I could then take your suggestions to the record store (or whatever they call in now) and listen to some samples to see if it's the one I want.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
According to Sam Arlen, Harold's son, the definitive sax version is Richie Elliot's.
Hope this helps.

Jsax

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I googled Richie Elliot but came up with nothing.

HELP!

Anyone else have a few other groups/artists I should check out.
I figured with so many people on the forums talking about old Jazz artists I would had hundreds of replies by now.

I'm wondering if I'm not on a few IGNORE lists.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
BobbyC said:
I figured with so many people on the forums talking about old Jazz artists I would had hundreds of replies by now.
That's because there are probably hundreds of possibilities and no one wants to list them. Sorry. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Bobby,
With such a simple and well known song why don't you just write out a score for the instrumentation you want, leave it simple or add some unique turnarounds...whatever you want.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was really hoping to find that one I heard but as you mentioned,
I'll probably end up just finding a nice set of chord progressions from the internet and working out the parts.

I was really hoping to be able let my son's piano teacher hear that old version to see what she thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts