Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me know a good case that can carry a Tenor and Alto Sax. It doesn’t have to be a tank or indestructible. Please let me know what a good website to find it is. Of course I am on a budget so I don’t want to spend a lot of money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Yes. It would be very heavy if it protected both horns well, and awkward to carry around even if it didn't.

Are you wanting to carry both horns at once on your person? There are ways - say backpack-strap cases. Just remember, you're a foot taller wearing a tenor. :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Please let me know a good case that can carry a Tenor and Alto Sax. It doesn’t have to be a tank or indestructible. Please let me know what a good website to find it is. Of course I am on a budget so I don’t want to spend a lot of money.
Here ya go:
http://hornsales.com/store/p/747-Ca...xophone-and-Tenor-Saxophone.aspx?feed=Froogle

But it's been my experience that you're much better off having a custom case built to the exact fit of your horns. Costs more, but well worth it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
Gard makes a double case that fits both an alto and a tenor. It's a "wheelie" case: http://www.pjlamusic.com/gard.htm I have one and have used it for several years, off and on. Not as great of protection as a hard shell case, but works OK if used with a little care. Nice to be able to tote both horns in one case if you have to haul your horns very far....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone that reply'd to my post. This case will save me a lot space when I am going to gigs. Both my horns need a new case.

Here ya go:
http://hornsales.com/store/p/747-Ca...xophone-and-Tenor-Saxophone.aspx?feed=Froogle

But it's been my experience that you're much better off having a custom case built to the exact fit of your horns. Costs more, but well worth it in the end.
I really like this case. I am going to save up and get it. Thanks alot John.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank you everyone that reply'd to my post. This case will save me a lot space when I am going to gigs. Both my horns need a new case.

I really like this case. I am going to save up and get it. Thanks alot John.
No worries... glad to help.

One other thing though. I have had a few different flight cases for my horns over the years. I've always had them built so I can put the instrument's case inside a very well built ATA flight case with foam cut specifically for the case the horn's in. I have flown and trucked my horns all over the world and have only had very minor incidents due to travel. I watched a baggage crew at O'Hare literally throw my Tenor/Soprano case (with both horns - a MK VI tenor and Yamaha 62 soprano) about 15 feet to a very hard landing in a luggage carrier. I almost had a heart attack. The horns were fine. I attribute that to the case within a case design I used.

Another thing is weight. You may be better off having two separate cases than one monster case. Especially if it doesn't have wheels. My double case is a beast even with wheels on it and my Bari coffin is built to withstand a nuclear attack. All Calzone/Anvil built and worth every penny.

Hope this helps and good luck...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Carrying multiple horns in one case is a terrible idea for several real reasons. Weight and size, catastrophic drop or crushing damages more than one horn, thieves get more than one horn, if shipped as baggage possible delay or loss-multiple horns gone or late arriving. Feel free to add your reasons it's a bad idea..I'm sure I've missed a few.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you've gotta do it, go with the Calzone case for function and economy. But definitely DON'T buy that Gard Wheelie case. Huge waste of cash for NO protection! You'd have better luck with 2 separate gig bags.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
Carrying multiple horns in one case is a terrible idea for several real reasons.
Too heavy.
I agree. Listen to the wise advice above

All you need is to suddenly find you have to walk further than expected (or run from terminal 1 to terminal 4 at some Airport in Texas) and you may end up at the gig with an almost dislocated shoulder.

Even if you think you are very strong and it's not a trouble to lift, you can be causing strain to one side of your body and get problems later in life that don't actually help your saxophone playing.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
John,are you saying you put the calzone case into another ata case?????

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree. Listen to the wise advice above

All you need is to suddenly find you have to walk further than expected (or run from terminal 1 to terminal 4 at some Airport in Texas) and you may end up at the gig with an almost dislocated shoulder.

Even if you think you are very strong and it's not a trouble to lift, you can be causing strain to one side of your body and get problems later in life that don't actually help your saxophone playing.
... But think how beasty that particular side will be! The chicks will go halfway nuts! Lol!

·
Registered
125 Posts
John,are you saying you put the calzone case into another ata case?????
No. Put your current horn case inside a Calzone foamed to fit it. Example: I have a Walt Johnson tenor case. My Calzone has a space specifically fit for that WJ case. It also has a slot for my Pro-tec soprano case. Both horns ride in their own cases inside the Calzone.

That way it's a case within a case. It also allows you to carry your horns locally when you arrive at the gig you're playing without having to schlep the flight case around. I like to go out and sit in with local bands wherever I happen to be. No way am I dragging along an ATA case!

The entire point as far as I'm concerned is to NOT have to schlep my horns through an airport. I either check them as baggage or they ride on the trucks between gigs. They're over insured for their value and are in the absolute best quality case/design I can afford. At that point if the horn dies, the horn dies. There's not much I can do about it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts