Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some guidance, I switched from Tenor to Bari at the beginning of 2018. I play in a local 50 piece concert band, and I really have trouble with transitioning from notes which require using the octave key, down to middle D, G, A and B without tonguing. I used to play alto and tenor and I had no trouble controlling overtones with just embouchure changes and no tonguing. The middle G is the worst now.

It gets a little embarrassing that I cannot slur from the upper ranges to the lower notes without octave jumping.

I even bought a new bari in July, a Low A Amati ABS64 and I have tried 4 different mouthpieces with little difference. I have tried different reeds, Rico 2.5 and Vandoren Java 2.5. The Vandoren's were my favorite reed on Alto and Tenor.

I am 68 years old, and a mid-level amateur who has been been playing regularly in concert bands for the last 15 years, after a 30 year pause. I know I have lost some lung capacity with age.

The question: is it the nature of the baritone to need a slight tonguing on those lower notes to prevent jumping an octave, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
A few of the common causes that exacerbate this effect are playing with too tight an embouchure and/or having the back of the tongue raised as if saying "ee". Another issue is that you are fighting the natural acoustics of the saxophone. When a note goes to its second mode and vibrates at twice the frequency, it develops an "inertia" of sorts and resists going back to the original slower mode of vibration. One thing that has helped me as a player when having to make slurred leaps downward is to mentally play the lower note while still on the upper note. Another thing that might help is to release the octave key early. You can also blow the upper note as a "harmonic" and not even use the octave key.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,919 Posts
What works for me is NOT adjusting my embouchure for octave changes or large intervals. Try not to do that, keep your embouchure and breath support constant, and practice it. Breath support is the big thing. That's what works for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saxocles and BH9 thank you for the guidance, I will work on your suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts