Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Robeal -

Take a listen to itspman's post here - http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21814&page=220. He's using a new JJ Classic on that. That prompted me to pull out my blue JJ Classic 7 and play it at band rehearsal tonight. I forgot how nice the piece is. It screams if you push it, and has a very nice tone at lower volumes. Overall, a very versatile piece.

Frank

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I have a JJ Classic alto piece. Works well. Loud as you like. My selmer piece blends better but it's all going to depend upon what you want to use it for. For teaching, I use the Selmer, the kids get scared by the JJ. It tends to play loud and bright for me on the Aristocrat alto. I went back to using the Selmer soloist to work on focusing my sound and not just blaring away, which the JJ does very easily. I found I play the classic better after spending time on the Selmer piece. The Classic is a great mpc and seems to be pretty reed friendly too. Works well with the Rovner lig.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i liked my classic so much on alto i've bought one for my tenor and my new bari.love all three. i use the spoiler on bari and it's like it's supercharged.

·
Registered
894 Posts
fballatore said:
Robeal -

Take a listen to itspman's post here - http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21814&page=220. He's using a new JJ Classic on that. That prompted me to pull out my blue JJ Classic 7 and play it at band rehearsal tonight. I forgot how nice the piece is. It screams if you push it, and has a very nice tone at lower volumes. Overall, a very versatile piece.

Frank
Robeal

I have only just got my JJ classic number 6 the link Frank pointed you too is the first tune I have played on it and I have to say I am blown away with it.

I have the following points to mention:

1. Its really easy to play and not to difficult to keep control off (I used to play a Jumbo Java and that was a little wild and difficult to tame sometimes)

2. As you may know it comes with a spoiler which can be removed or inserted at will, the recording above was done with spoiler in - it makes the mouthpiece almost sound like a metal one with pleanty of punch and grunt. Take out the spoiler and you have a nice well rounded mellower sounding mouthpiece (it really is like having two mouthpiece's in one)

3. On the Jumbo Java and also the Otto Link I used to play hitting the high notes was sometimes an effort - the JJ makes playing these effortless.

4. On the down side the mouthpiece is very narrow compared to the Jumbo Java I was playing so it takes a little adjustment to get used to it, also its a fairly long mouthpiece which meant that my playing position needed to alter a little. Having said that it only took me a couple of mins to adjust

5. Because the mouthpiece is so narrow it needs a smaller ligature than the one I had but luckly they supply you with a rovner dark ligature in the box.

So to sum up if you like a mouthpiece to give you punch, to be loud and proud but also have a softer edge when needed, I dont think you can go wrong with the JJ Classic. I only wish I had bought one ages ago.:)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
the jj classic was jody's first piece. it was developed with runyon after he had one modified to his liking by runyon. it is based off a one off runyon piece, but unlike any unmodified runyon available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback

I tried the JJ Classic #6 and was impressed how well balanced and easy to play it is. I compared it with Meyer 5 and 6 and some Otto Link and VanDoren.
Nothing came close.

Are there any other mp that compare to the JJ Classic that I should consider?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
robeal said:
Are there any other mp that compare to the JJ Classic that I should consider?
Do you really want to lead yourself down a spiral that you'll never escape?? You found a mouthpiece that plays well and that you're impressed with. Get it and play it.

DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO!! :twisted:

Seriously, if you want to try something else, try a Morgan Jazz. Unless you have a lot of money, then try a JJ DV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great feedback. I will be off for another round of testing. I will let you know.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use the Jody Jazz Classic tenor, and plan to add on the alto version very soon. Good luck with the search.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts