Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play on a Vandoren Optimum TL4 and.... I don't like it...

I feel like it is hard to control.. At times I feel like my sounds gets "spready" (hard to explain?) I have trouble clearly articulating... I feel I really have to over work with this mouthpiece. Volume is not an issue though lol

I've been messing around with fibracell and legere reeds usually 3 1/2 or 4. Cane reeds on tenor are such a pain!

Any suggestions? I know....... practice :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I love the AL4--but really dislike the TL4. On the other hand, the T20 is very, very good. You'll find much better focus, and better clarity of articulation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like the sound of the TL4 actually, but I understand your frustration. It is not the easier to tame among the Vandoren pieces. My advise is to try the T20: it's darker, quieter, more focused and controllable than the TL4. Be sure to use softer reeds (1/2 softer) than you use in the TL4.

Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
For classical tenor I like the Link HR 5* and currently have a Brilhart 4* Tonalite and actually my Meyer 6M is nice for a smooth sound. If you have a chance, try a Selmer S-80 in about an E facing. Lots of control, good intonation and not too open. I find the C*s to be a bit too closed on tenor.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
+1 for S80s in D or E, S90s work well too, but try loads of them because Selmers differ greatly from one to the next.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Another vote for the T20. I have a BL3 and an AL3, both of which I love. I don't remember much about the TL4, just that I preferred the TL3 over it. I eventually meandered back to the T20 because the TL3, in my opinion, just sounded very sterile/boring. I can't really think of many negative things to say about the T20. It's a very flexible piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I have a T25 for sale in the Marketplace... I haven't played a T20, but I think they are similar. Perhaps someone can chime in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a T25 for sale in the Marketplace... I haven't played a T20, but I think they are similar. Perhaps someone can chime in.
The T20 and the T25 are basically the same design. The difference is that the T20 has a wider tip rail making it darker and more focused than the T25. Also, because of that the T20 works better with 1/2 softer reeds than you would use with the T25.
The T25's sound is closer to the sound of the TL4 than to the sound of the T20.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I love Alexander Classique. These are the best reeds I have found. They sound very different from other reeds. They seem harder than the number they give. I went from a 3.5 to a 3 and now about to try a 2.5. I use a Caravan mouthpiece these days and an Optimum lig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts