Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone help me locate a case for a bass sax and a playing stand?

I am in the final stages of a Bass Sax restoration project (Buescher, 1919). When I acquired it the instrument did not have any case. It _did_ have a playing stand, the kind that has a felt-padded collar that clamps around the bell, and which fits into a 3-wheeled stand. The instument is left on the stand while playing.

Can anyone answer a few questions for me?

Regarding the case:

- Does anyone know where I can procure a hard case for this instrument?

- Is it possible to find a gig bag or other soft padded case for it?

- I held the sax up beside a double bass violin last night (don't laugh yet, wait for a minute), and it seemd to me that a bass violin bag might work for my bass sax. Now you can laugh. It would look a little funny, but it might work.

Regarding the stand:

The stand is beyond cleaning up. Does anyone know whe I can buy a new one?

For those interested, a little history of the instrument. I live in Philadelphia, and have stayed friendly with my original clarinet teacher (he's 89, I'm 64). He bought this sax in 1954 for $40 and tells a hilarious story about carrying it ten blocks to the Philadelphia subway. He played it professionally for a while, then retired the sax to his clean basement, where it stood the almost 20 years. The case disintegrated long ago. He gave it to me about six months ago, and I have disassembled it, cleaned it, installed new pads and springs, and got it back into playable condition.

You can send me e-mail privately at: [email protected]

Many thanks for any help,

Jim McGlinchey

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Can anyone help me locate a case for a bass sax and a playing stand?

I am in the final stages of a Bass Sax restoration project (Buescher, 1919). When I acquired it the instrument did not have any case. It _did_ have a playing stand, the kind that has a felt-padded collar that clamps around the bell, and which fits into a 3-wheeled stand. The instument is left on the stand while playing.

Can anyone answer a few questions for me?

Regarding the case:

- Does anyone know where I can procure a hard case for this instrument?

- Is it possible to find a gig bag or other soft padded case for it?

- I held the sax up beside a double bass violin last night (don't laugh yet, wait for a minute), and it seemd to me that a bass violin bag might work for my bass sax. Now you can laugh. It would look a little funny, but it might work.

Regarding the stand:

The stand is beyond cleaning up. Does anyone know whe I can buy a new one?

For those interested, a little history of the instrument. I live in Philadelphia, and have stayed friendly with my original clarinet teacher (he's 89, I'm 64). He bought this sax in 1954 for $40 and tells a hilarious story about carrying it ten blocks to the Philadelphia subway. He played it professionally for a while, then retired the sax to his clean basement, where it stood the almost 20 years. The case disintegrated long ago. He gave it to me about six months ago, and I have disassembled it, cleaned it, installed new pads and springs, and got it back into playable condition.

You can send me e-mail privately at: [email protected]

Many thanks for any help,

Jim McGlinchey
Jim,

Small world I am now having my Lyon & Healy Bass (Buescher) restored and have asked the same questions you have.
First of all go to the Bass Sax Coop in Yahoo. Any question regarding bass can be answered there by pros, serious amateurs, etc.

For a soft case, I just purchased one from Glen Cronkite in Berkeley. He does great work and was founder of Reunion Blues which he sold a few years back.
The cost was $450 plus shipping for leather.

For a study stand everyone recommends the Saxrax. But I plan to play using a harness.

For a hard case these are more expensive. So I have put this off.
We can compare pics once your horn is ready. I expect mine at the end of November. Not having it replated (silver) but otherwise totally restored and adding a spit valve but no other keys.

good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
When it comes to a case I would recommend a hard case unless you just need something to keep it in around the house. My '27 Buescher came with one of the cases from Allied Supply. Some say it isn't padded enough and I would agree if it was being shipped, but it has served me very well for the traveling I have done with it (and you can always add extra padding easily enough). These can be bought through Mason, who buys them from Allied...but you might be able to find a music store or repair shop near you that could order it, saving you some extra shipping costs.

Another alternative that I haven't explored yet is the IW bass sax case. They look to be potentially great (contoured, and with wheels!), and since the first IW bass was based on a Buescher, the fit should be fairly close. It would be interesting to see how much they would charge for just the case, but I haven't asked as of yet.

When it comes to the stand...SaxRax seems to be the leader for a safe stand (although they are pricey, but then again so is the sax!). I wouldn't necessarily play one off of these stands though, even though some do. For just sitting out, I took a generic bari stand and slightly modified it to fit my bass.

I assume the stand is the same as the Hamilton bari stands that use a collar (although maybe a wider track for the base?). If it is the same base you could buy another Hamilton to use. Or if it is really that different, you have two options...have someone make a new base for you (office chair bottom is one way, or from scratch), or you could have yours blasted and either painted or powder coated. But if it turns out to be the same, you could save yourself the trouble of making one or restoring what you have and just pick up a new stand from Hamilton for under $100.
http://www.hamiltonstands.com/wind/kb570.htm

Be sure to post some pictures after it's done! All of us bass owners (and admirers) always love to see another one that's been brought back to life.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
FOR A BASS HARD CASE SEE BELOW:

Mark Rikata at USAHORN offered one for $750(est.) plus shipping. See below

This case was a special order item.
I believe it cost us about $750 plus shipping.
Would you like exact pricing? If so, to where would the case be shipped?

Every Good Wish,
Mark Rakita

USA Horn
1988 Morris Ave.
Union, NJ 07083

http://USAHorn.com

http://SaxPics.com

Toll Free: 800.USA.Horn (800.872.4676)
Tel: 908.688.3555

Fax: 908.688.3443
[email protected]

THERE MAY BE OTHERS OFFERING THIS I HAVE NOT SHOPPED AROUND

I plan to get a hard case as well, But have lots if experience with soft cases with no problems and will make it work. You have to be careful for sure.

FYI, Here is Glen Crohnkites contact:

glenn cronkhite [mailto:[email protected]]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Just an update...after being reminded that I should email IW, I sent off an email and received a speedy reply! Mr. Reese told me that they have tried a Buescher in the case and it fit well. The cases require a 3 month lead time and have a price of $899. Here are a few pictures of it from Flickr.

View attachment 14107

View attachment 14108

I didn't have to buy the Allied case that came with my Buescher, but I seem to remember they run about 500 through Mason, and less through Allied directly but I can't remember exactly how much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts