Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I need an advice about what size I need to choose for a rovner platinum ligature, I have saw on the forum that the size chart is not very precise.
This for a Brancher J27 tenor mouthpiece, very thin, like a Vandoren V16 metal.

Cheers,
Olivier.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Why not email Rovner or the mouthpiece manufacturer? I cannot remember the model number, but mine was bought for an SR tech. Fusion. This is a tubular mouthpiece & the ligature also fits a S/S Berg.....although made for tubular mouthpieces it also fits the tapered Otto-Link and similarly tapered Jody Jazz ESP....but, in the latter two cases probably not as well as the lig specified for them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Captain, my Brancher is a not really tubular, but to my mind if you find one for you jody it will fit too for my mouthpiece, can you tell me if your screw is gold or sillver?
I will send an email to Rovner right now.

·
6,715 Posts
Mine is all silver.
Although mine is intended for tubular mouthpieces, it works, thanks to the flexing of the ribs, to fit slightly tapered pieces. However, this obviously is not ideal.
I bought mine to fit the Fusion & an email to them confirmed the recommendation from Rovner....so a note to Brancher may not be amiss.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I seem to recall Rovner has a sizing chart on their site.. I bought a Platinum lig a couple of months ago and referred to it. If I recall correctly, I bought the P1-RVS (or something like that) for my Runyon Quantum Delrin tenor mpc - it's the size that's meant for standard hard rubber soprano sax, so it also fits my SML HR sop sax mpc. I think I could also likely use it for my Quantum XL alto mpc, so that's three applications from this ligature.

·
3,875 Posts
I seem to recall Rovner has a sizing chart on their site.. I bought a Platinum lig a couple of months ago and referred to it. If I recall correctly, I bought the P1-RVS (or something like that) for my Runyon Quantum Delrin tenor mpc - it's the size that's meant for standard hard rubber soprano sax, so it also fits my SML HR sop sax mpc. I think I could also likely use it for my Quantum XL alto mpc, so that's three applications from this ligature.
They don't list Brancher, but for a Vandoren metal tenor piece, they list a P-3ML.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that's correct for the Vandoren metal, but this lig is all silver, and I prefer the version with gold screw...
I'm still waiting for an answer from Rovner, in my mind this possible to use a sop ligature for ebo mouthpiece on a thin tenor metal mouthpiece, but I prefer have a confirmation before order.
Thank you guys, your help is great, in France we have a lot of saxophonists, but we are not very well inform about "exotics" parts like rovner or american mouthpieces.

·
6,715 Posts
My Platinum works very well on my Brilhart Personaline in the "reversed" position. I had issues trying to get it postitioned on the reed using it the way Rovner intended. This one also fits a Tone Edge as well.

http://www.kingsuper20.com/personaline/
Reversing the lig with the screw uppermost is not to be recommended. The radius of the un-ribbed top (Where the Rovner script is etched) is inflexible & the wrong radius to clamp the reed....at least, in my experience & on the mouthpieces I use.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Reversing the lig with the screw uppermost is not to be recommended. The radius of the un-ribbed top (Where the Rovner script is etched) is inflexible & the wrong radius to clamp the reed....at least, in my experience & on the mouthpieces I use.
That may be the case for some mouthpiece/reed combinations, but for my English Personaline/Legere setup it works perfectly. Much better than it does in the "intended" position. On my Platinum (P-2R), there is a lot of radial flexibility in the "nameplate" portion of the ligature. I could see the smaller diameter Platinums being limited in that area, but such is not the case with the one I have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello, I have my answer from Rovner, perhaps it will be usefull for someone:
For Brancher J27, or B model, metal tenor mouthpiece use P-2M ligature.
Now this reference have also gold screw.

Thanks to everyone for your help, best regards from France.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Don't tighten it too much or the screw will break. That is what happened to me (on the fabric Rovner) and other people. They will send another one but those are some cheap screws!

How do you like that lig?

·
6,715 Posts
Mine also is a P 2M. sized for the SR Fusion and S/S Berg...seems a pretty flexible size for metal tenor pieces. Tightening on the reed can initially be a little awkward as they have a tendency to slip sideways while tightening. A little bit of practice & all is OK.
Good lig, looks cool also.

·
6,715 Posts
That is the very reason I first tried reversing the lig and put the screw on top. For me, it just works better on my Brilhart.
Yes, I had assumed that....however, I still would prefer to use it as designed...but, if it works for you then that's all that matters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts