Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody
What do you think of the mouth piece selmer super session I ? I play with a metal otto link 6* and I would want to change for something les aggressive in the hight note's but that keeps the worm sound in the low one's.
thank's for your advice

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I have a SS I and a G and find them a little to bright for my tastes. If you're willing to spend the money, try a Jody Jazz DV. The ESP (without spoiler) is really nice too if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re

ok thank's...I would of liked to try the original buescher mouth piece on my sopran busch...but I'm afraid to be disappointed...I live in france,(brittany) and it's not so easy to find shop were I can try instument's!

·
14,268 Posts
Richard: Mouthpiece recommendations are almost useless, that's why I hesitated before even mentioning the SS-J. I did so only because others here have posted in the past that when they moved up to the J, it was better than the smaller tip-openings.

I use the SS-J on my '28 Buescher TT and believe me, I've tried a lot of soprano pieces. I once had an SS-I and did not like it. My adult daughter loves it on her YSS62S.

I recently tried a Buescher soprano mouthpiece opened to .070" by a SOTW poster. I did not like it any better than other stock Buescher mouthpieces I'd tried.

One person's bright is another person's dark, though. There is no accounting for how one reacts to a mouthpiece (or a saxophone for that matter).

Another piece that I liked on my TT (and use on my modern sops) is the Morgan Vintage (I use a #7 on my S992, a #6 on my curved SC902).

I agree about the harshness of STM Links, although a world-class player I know and play with sometimes use a Link8* on his MKVI soprano and sounds wonderful. Of course he'd sound good on anything, I believe.

I have STM Links in 7* and 8*, and traded away a 6* a while back. I tried to use the Links in public performances - they projected alright, but were harsh.

Hope this helps. DAVE

·
1,001 Posts
A year ago I did a trial of SS F, G and I - all differences of 0.004 inches. I liked the I for a while but found it a bit too thin. I ended up with the F which I like quite a bit. But I also think everyone should try a Runyon Custom before going to more expensive pieces. It takes a little work to learn to tone down a Runyon (keeping the spoiler in it) but I like it for lots of music. Nothing else I've tried speaks as clearly in the high register yet has a full sound down low.

But for a full sound high and low I still like my S-80 E. It would be better as an F.

Whatever change you make, stay with it for a few months before going to something else. It takes a while to learn to play each mouthpiece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts