Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I recently purchased a conn soprano saxophone (1922 by serial number) in the artist's special finish. I found a loose key post when inspecting the saxophone, but I still bought it. I need to know what kind of solder these horns use, and if my local repairman could possibly damage the finish with a resolder. Does the post need to be Brazed? and if so, could that damage the finish as well?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,559 Posts
Yes, your local tech should be able to repair the loose post.
Yes, soldering/brazing will damage the finish as both require HEAT.
The extent of the 'damage' depends on how skilled your tech is in using a torch.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
For almost all saxes, the post itself is silver-brazed to a brass disc or "rib", which in turn is soft-soldered to the body. If the former has failed, then the latter will need to be unsoldered before the former can be re-brazed, then the assembly soft-soldered to the body.

Yes, your local tech should be able to repair the loose post.
Yes, soldering/brazing will damage the finish as both require HEAT.
The extent of the 'damage' depends on how skilled your tech is in using a torch.
... and what type of lacquer was used. It is close to impossible to resolder a nitrocellulose-lacquered surface - common on older instruments - without browning it or worse.
But soft soldering temperatures won't touch the baked epoxy lacquered on the likes of student Yamahas.

The heat required for silver brazing will destroy all lacquers. (The metal needs to be red-hot.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,603 Posts
"Artist Special" finish from 1922 - is it plated (gold or silver) rather than lacquered? That should come out alright, if your tech is good with the torch.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
"Artist Special" finish from 1922 - is it plated (gold or silver) rather than lacquered? That should come out alright, if your tech is good with the torch.
That is correct, sir.

Conn did not introduce lacquer until the 30s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
That is correct, sir.

Conn did not introduce lacquer until the 30s.
But people are assuming nothing else has been applied / changed / modified in regards to the finish in the last 95 yrs of that instruments existence.

Welcome to the world of repair.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your advice. I will take that into account when I have my local tech repair the horn. It is in the artist's special finish, gold plated, but no elaborate scrollwork, it just has the standard "made by C.G. Conn" on it. Anybody know anything about that? The serial number still matches though. I can post pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts