Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend’s daughter is in high school and playing an awful alto right now. I’ve been asked to help them find a step-up alto in the 700 to no more than $1k range. Because I’m much more well versed in tenors I’d like to get some input from you guys.

They’re not opposed to used and/or semi-vintage (nothing archaic).

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,352 Posts
Would a simple Yama 21 or 23 be a step-up from awful ? I have some of those.

Also, if they didn't mind a stencil, I have an R&C one from the 70's, completely modern keywork, which is damn good (listed under my vendor section).

Also have a JK ST90, built at Jupiter factory to JK design, surprisingly good.

Besides those, some other decent horns in that price range (used) might be:

Buffet 100
Buffet 400
Jupe 869 "Artist" (if silverplate is OK)
Yama 52

just off top of my head....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Well, in that cost range I'd go with a Buescher "400" or "Aristocrat" from the fities through seventies, probably. But the band director's head might explode.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,352 Posts
Well, in that cost range I'd go with a Buescher "400" or "Aristocrat" from the fities through seventies, probably. But the band director's head might explode.
"What's THAT !? Good god ! You have bought a LEFT-HANDED saxophone !!!!!"

·
Registered
955 Posts
A Selmer 162 from the mid-1980's with minor play wear should run under $1,000. I've sold near-mint to mint condition ones for $1,000-$1,300. Pretty much the same as a Paris SA-80. It's a horn she could play for life.

Any "high-end" Taiwan model would likely take her through her college years. Some are always available in the $600-$800 range in excellent condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the past 12 months 43 YAS-62's have sold on Ebay for $1000 or less. Of course when buying a "used" saxophone one should plan on adding the price of a "play condition" to the cost to get it in top playing condition.
None right now that’s for sure 😂

A 62 for under $1k is a STEAL

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,506 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I recently played a Jupiter 767 (?) alto and thought that it's a solid, really good sounding horn.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
This screen shot shows a portion of the EBay sales that were $1000 or less. Most of the listings for the newest models of the YAS-62 sold for over $2000. The deals are out there but you have to watch for them. Unfortunately Terapeak Research has been taken over by Ebay and it is no longer possible to see the actual ads for the instruments sold to try to detect whether they are Chinese copies or not.

terapeak.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you checked Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace in your area? They've been very useful in my experience for scouting out instruments and sellers that look good, and you'll have the chance to inspect the saxophone in person before buying. Chances are you can find listings from sellers who refurbish older horns and sell them at prices that can really be a steal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts