Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on which mouthpiece can produce BRIGHT sound like Kenny G,
please give me an advice, because now my soprano sax still have terribly sound, not the bright one,
thanks so much for the answer all,,:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
As far as I know, Kenny G uses a Dukoff but it's not just his mouthpiece but the combination of his playing and the Dukoff and his sax and probably some other effects as well etc, that is the final tone.

·
Registered
269 Posts
he uses Hemke reeds if that helps. If you are new to the saxophone, especially soprano than it will take some time before your able make the horn sound how you want it to. experiment with forming your thought to different vowel sounds Oh Ah OO Uh Erh Aa

also keep in mind the kenny g uses huge amounts of reverb with everything he plays but its not a natural reverb that can be exactly replicated by playing in a bigg room, or into a trash can (but try just for fun) he also uses auto tune as part of his sound. kind of like T-Pain only on the saxophone

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,745 Posts
I think a lot of soprano players would kill to have a dark sound........but maybe we are not talking of the same thing since dark or bright seem to have different meaning for different people.........

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III & Naked Lady
29,814 Posts
No mouthpiece will do that.

If you get the same mouthpiece as Kenny, you won't even necessarily advance 0.1% towards getting that sound, so my advice is to look elsewhere (other than your saxophone or mouthpiece) for that kind of lovely sound.

Having said that, I wouldn't call Kenny's sound bright anyway.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Agree with you,Pete!
There´s no mouthpiece that will do that for you but you might get some help if you use a piece with a baffle,like Dukoff or RPC (Ron makes great ones!!).
It´s difficult to explain but to achieve a bright sound you must oush the air more agressivily into the horn, the "airflow" must be faster.
If you want softer/warmer sound think that you have a small hot potato in your mouth... :) ....hahaa...It´s hard to explain but that´s the closest I can get with my english...
Anyway, it´s not the mouthpiece, it´s the player...I would recommend that you play LONG TONES...playing the long tones is the best practise!
Good luck!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re : Re: Need advice on which mouthpiece can produce BRIGHT sound like Kenny G

If you want softer/warmer sound think that you have a small hot potato in your mouth... :) ....hahaa...It´s hard to explain but that´s the closest I can get with my english...
I love this explanation XD

·
Registered
133 Posts
ound.

Having said that, I wouldn't call Kenny's sound bright anyway.
With all do respect, I Disagree! I think most player that use Dukoffs on soprano sound brighter, with more edge and buzz than Kenny, but he is still bright.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
Do you mean that you disagree that I wouldn't call Kenny's sound bright?
I don't disagree that you would not call Kenny's sop sound bright. I call his sound irritating.;)

That being said, I have tried unsuccessfully to emulate both Sanborn on alto and Kenny on sop, without the aid of eq.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't disagree that you would not call Kenny's sop sound bright......
Is that a triple negative? :shock::TGNCHK:

as jneelt mentioned, Kenny G uses Hemke reeds. I once bought a box of #2.5 and it sound much "nasal" than ZZ/Java reeds - kind of Kenny-G-oriented, I thought.

·
Registered
506 Posts
On which recordings?
Pete-FWIW, alot of people today call any digital effect "auto-tune". Especially a vocoder type sound or vocal harmony generators. I hear alot of younger guys do this. It really bugs me. So, jneelt could be talking about...well anything. Pretty sure Kenny G never has used auto-tune.

·
29,814 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
please give me an advice, because now my soprano sax still have terribly sound, not the bright one,
thanks so much for the answer all,,:)
I do sometimes wonder if when people say "bright" they may mean "sharp" in terms of pitch. So the underlying issue is that they tend to play a bit flat so they hear KG (for example) as "bright" because he tunes sharper than they do?

·
29,814 Posts
I do sometimes wonder if when people say "bright" they may mean "sharp" in terms of pitch.
Ver possibly, a lot of players use the word "bright" to mean sharp. It's a very useful technique and common with brass players and strings as well as saxophones. Probably not a technique to be advised for beginners who should maybe learn a little about pitching closer to the actual pitch of other instruments until they progress to more advanced techniques that involve using different intonation as a conscious (or subconscious) technique for expression or tonal concept.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you mean that you disagree that I wouldn't call Kenny's sound bright?
Yah, I mean who is brighter on sop than Kenny? I'm sure some players are, but if kenny went any brighter wouldn"t we go deaf? Not that I find his sound anything short of amazing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
His full set-up is a Selmer Mark VI, serial# 81,612. Bobby Dukoff D-8 MPC, Rico/Hemke 2 1/2, and a Rovner lig.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts