Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the intro. section of the forum. I just found this area though.
Photos: http://glencographics.com/saxophone/
This was my step-father's: 1960, 87xxx Selmer Alto Saxophone, Made in France. I'm in no hurry to sell this but was wondering what the best way to go about doing it would be. I was told to advertise it to the Japanese market. I would get top dollar there. That seems like it would be a great big hassle though. I've done some research and know it's quite valuable and a sought after model. I was also told not to do anything to restore it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help, Glen

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
It's a well known fact that the French Selmer Mark VI mold alone is worth 20K:cheers::eek:ccasion:!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First, tell us where you are from. That will make a difference.

And for many, eBay may be the best choice. After doing a quick search of completed eBay auctions for Selmer Mark VI altos, it looks like the selling range is the upper $3K to the mid $5K USD range. Based on the age of yours, I figure your target on eBay is somewhere around $4500.

If you are unfamiliar with selling on eBay, see if you can find someone that is. To get the best price, the seller will need to have lots of feedback that is near 100% positive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Check out the pictures. It's actually a tenor.
Based on this, I recommend Glenco68 seek a little help with selling his sax. :bluewink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, im not sure if I have selected the correct thread but wondering if you can help me. I have a vintage silver alto in fab condition with its original box, it's a Universal Savana paris brevette and very old. we want to sell but have no idea of value and how to sell to get the best price, I would really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Samantha,
Try posting it with links to photos in the "Marketplace" thread.
You'll get more notice there.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was told to advertise it to the Japanese market. I would get top dollar there.
Heck no, Glen! Things made in France should stay in America....wait... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
As already said...you actually have a tenor sax.

You have a few different options if you want to sell it...

Ebay is one choice. Going that way means you need good pictures, and many of them (photohosting is great for this). It also means that both Ebay and Paypal (assuming you get paid this way) take a chunk of whatever it sells for...so you net less from the sale. Selling here usually means you can sell it as it is...whether that is playable or not. And yes, you can reach a wide crowd this way...but that doesn't always translate into a higher dollar figure (in fact, most people scouring Ebay are looking for a deal).

Then there is consignment. There are a few different well known stores that will allow you to consign saxes with them. Going this way has it's advantages and disadvantages as well. On the plus side, by selling with a noted store/seller, you gain the reputation of that seller as well (some folks are much more willing to buy if it's from a dealer they know and trust). Also, some of the more well known sax dealers have their own established clientele...so there's a chance they already know someone looking for a sax exactly like you want to sell.

The disadvantages of going this route is that depending on the dealer and the price you want for it, it might not sell for a while. Another thing to consider is that most places would want to put it in playing condition before selling it...so you could be looking at a small investment prior to the sale. And lastly, any store you sell it through would charge a commission. I don't consider this a downside...some do. While you would lose a small amount of the profits, the amount you gain by having a reputable store sell your sax is generally more than their take.

You can also just sell it outright to any number of sax dealers. Going this route means immediate money, but at a reduced price (though not always less than what you could sell it for on Ebay).

Though there are a few places to consider if you went this route, I would recommend Randy Jones of Tenor Madness. I recently sold my '59 VI tenor to him and he paid a fair price for it.

Bottom line, you have a very desirable sax there (5 digit VI tenors always are!). It appears to be the original lacquer, and looks fairly intact from your pictures. As far as restoration work goes, the only thing that should be done is to put it in playable condition. What some people might call 'restoring' would be to refinish it. This is BAD. Part of the value of this sax is that original funky looking finish (and some of us really dig that funky look :) ). Making this sax shiny again could easily knock 2 thousand off its value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts