Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new case/gig bag for my Yamaha Custom Z tenor. I still use the "suitcase" type case it came with and I would rather have something over the shoulder. I gig/rehearse 2-3 times a week, and generally have my flute with me. I'm trying to make my load easier to carry from car to the venues. I rarely need to take my horn on an airplane. I want something light and protective, so I'm considering a Hiscox- but maybe that's overkill for my purposes. The Reunion Blues leather is so cool looking (I realize that shouldn't necessarily be a consideration!) and has the one with the flute compartment I like- they do look pretty well made, but I want to make sure my horn is protected. I'm wondering if the Reunion Blues bag would be fine for my purposes. Thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
The reunion blues gig bag is nice and light weight BUT you have to make sure to be very careful with it , it does not protect very well. If you're the only person handling your gigbag this could be an option but remember repair guys love gigbags for a reason...if you travel with a band and all the instruments go in one car or van I would never use it.
Hiscox cases are very strong but do not offer space for flutes or much other stuff then a mpc and some reeds. Protec cases do offer both but they work wit a zipper which is the first thing to die on the case.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
+1 for the Protec ProPac cases. Fits everything ... even my split bell key Conn, with good protection. Lots of storage space in outside pockets, and it comes with a shoulder strap and you can buy backpack-like straps as well. About 1/2 what the BAM costs. It will probably last as long as the zipper holds out.

Turtle

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I'm looking to get a new case/gig bag for my Yamaha Custom Z tenor. I still use the "suitcase" type case it came with and I would rather have something over the shoulder. I gig/rehearse 2-3 times a week, and generally have my flute with me. I'm trying to make my load easier to carry from car to the venues. I rarely need to take my horn on an airplane. I want something light and protective, so I'm considering a Hiscox- but maybe that's overkill for my purposes. The Reunion Blues leather is so cool looking (I realize that shouldn't necessarily be a consideration!) and has the one with the flute compartment I like- they do look pretty well made, but I want to make sure my horn is protected. I'm wondering if the Reunion Blues bag would be fine for my purposes. Thoughts?
Check out the gator GL cases. Cheap and light, and pretty protective.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hey Sonja, good to see you on SOTW! I believe my Mauriat tenor case was made by Pro Tec (at least it looks very much like a Pro Tec) and the side pouch is big enough for my Gemeinhardt case. Pro Tec might even have an offering with a built-in flute compartment (not sure). Down side is that the metal clip on the shoulder strap failed. Luckily, the case did its job and my tenor suffered no damage or adjustment issues.

I used to have a Reunion Blues tenor gig bag with a soprano compartment--even had Bob Mintzer sign it after a concert! Had to get rid of it because there was no protection for the rim of the bell (Bob's signature had faded anyway :( )

·
Registered
321 Posts
Left my tenor in a gig bag in care of a mature adult while had to do something else after a show. And you guessed it, he somehow let it fall after leaning it up against a wall. The only damage seemed to be the plastic end cap but that was split right in two. Learned something.

Stories of horns being involved in auto accidents and the like.... abound. So I went a-looking for the best protection for all situations without spending more than I did for the saxophone. Now have Protec PRO PAC for both alto and tenor (in my case the XLs for opposing bell keys) as well as one each Gator case with the ABS exterior. Of course I'm wary of the zippers on the Protecs but my flute will fit into their pockets. Wanted best protection for all situations plus lighter weight and even possibility of trimmer profile for airplane overhead compartments. There's a little too much room for my horns in a couple of those so I pack with small towels that I want there anyway. Having a fit so the horn doesn't move upon impact is important.

Hope that helps.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
The basic Gator is moderately protective and ~very~ light weight.
The next in protectiveness and weight is a VGV. To the best of my knowledge only available from PM Woodwind repair, and not always available. (FWIW, this is what I use.)
Next, more protective and a bit heavier is ProTec and BAM (who make the Selmer cases).
Hiscox - maybe the same weight but definitely more protective.
Johnson - very protective, built like a tank and weighs like one, also.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the info! Anybody like these? (There was only a trumpet video- Gard).

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
These Gards look like slightly modified gig bags to me (and the video is painful to watch but that's another story)- maybe a little more protection but not much. I've been using ProTec gig cases for almost 20 years now. The first one I had from '94 until 2010 and it is still fine, the zippers just no longer operate as smoothly as they once did. That original one didn't have a pocket big enough for a French-style flute case but the newer ones do.

It's sort of that three way trade-off between protection/weight/cost - that for me the ProTec satisfies the best while at the same time giving me good longevity and the flexibility to either carry a bunch of extra stuff if I load the outer pockets up or not. I'm not a big fan of cases with wheels (especially small wheels that seem to get caught in every crack and don't roll well on rough surfaces) but other folks seem to really like having them. Right now I find cases with backpack straps to be more handy but that may change as I get older.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also have Custom Z Tenor, and I had to try a couple of cases before finally settling on the one I liked. At first I shelled out for a BAM Cabine, but there really wasn't much room for anything other than the horn. I tried the Gator GL, and though it seemed like a good case my horn didn't fit well in it, there was a lot of movement going on inside as I walked around. After some research I noticed that the Custom Z used to have an option for an upgradeable case which was in fact an aftermarket SKB 440 that said YAMAHA on it. I bought an SKB 440 and have really loved it for my tenor. It's really sturdy, not too heavy, and has enough space for accessories (the only thing the 140 lacks). The fit is perfect. Even though I subscribe to the belief that money should be no object when buying a case for your baby, it's nice to know that the SKB is just over $100. The Protecs seem nice too, I just really love the look of a hard shell case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts