Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a local friend who's trying to help a musician's widow sell her late husband's Guardala sax. I know it sounds a little convoluted. But as I play mostly Selmers, I'm unfamiliar with this model and so is he. I'd like help my friend and his seller get the best price possible, but also help set realistic expectations.

The tenor sax appears to be an early NY model, with "gold brass" and probably gold plating. The serial number is 0780x I believe.

Any advice on how to price it as well as its quality would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I used to own a Guardala alto that was serial number 7XX. It was black. Very nice horn. It played very similar to a Mark VI. I got rid of it because I found a Mark VI that played slightly better. My old saxophone teacher actually bought it off me and still uses it today. He sounds awesome on it.

I also had a student buy a Guardala tenor about 6 years ago (?). I tried it. It was nice too. They are well made horns.

As for price......depends on the condition. Pads good? Lacquer ok? If it's in mint condition (ie still in the case, never been touched) maybe $2500 I'd think would be tops. Realistically, probably $1400 is a fair price I'd think. You can get a Barone for like $1600. So, basically, you'd be paying for the Guardala name for anything more than like $1400.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
On occasion they get some very nice prices. I've seen them go for over 2k at times.....check ebay and see what they have gone for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
If it is a Goldbrass ones then its has a certain rarity value that should push it to the higher end of the usual price range. I see a lot of optimists out there trying to get silly money for them, but few go for much more than $2k

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Find out if it is really gold plated. They are more valuable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts