Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this SBA tenor that has its old original finish and it's ugly in a few spots. I also don't like the dark color. I want to get this thing bright and shiny and looking new! I'm going to be up on stage and I want this horn to shine baby shine! I'm also considering putting a few rubys in the bell to make it bling even more, but first thing first I want to replace the lacquer. Does anyone know of a good place to do this?

I've attached some pics of the horn so that you can see the blemishes I'm talking about.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
of course you know that this would cost you money and knock down the horns value at the same time. The dark color is the classic nitrocellulose lacquer that has aged , modern lacquers wouldn’t age this way.

You have a very valuable horn, perhaps value is not your concern though but you would be permanently impacting it. Although saxophones were normally relacquered prior to the ’80 from the ’80 onwards this has not been the norm, and on the contrary conernes over the originality of the lacquer are the first thing that the buyer of a classic horn would consider.

Personally If I were to consider something like that on a horn this valuable I’d go for a gold plating job.

That would give you a lot of bling and not devalue the horn as much as a relacquer job would.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?924-Costs-of-relaquering-replating

Anderson seems to be the place to be

http://www.andersonsilverplating.com

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think your horn looks very good the way it is!
I think you should just play it, and let your playing make the audience excited and happy.
And, you will save a lot of money.
A horn that looks well used enhances a professional image.
I think people relate a shiny horn to a much less experienced player or a beginner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
actually, despite its wear, my 1970 Super 20 is generally considered “ shiny” ( the wear is mostly on the side not visible ) and I have had many coming to be asking me why my horn was not looking as aged as other folks.

The “ worn” look started in the ’80, when people like Michael Brecker stated sporting horns from a previous generation .

Before of that era most artists would buy contemporary instruments and use them until they wore to the point that they needed being relacquered ( a thing that is now of the past and that at the time was part of every shop’s daily practice).

That is how we came to associate the players of the ’40, ’50, ’60, ‘70 with their horns which mostly contemporary horns to the period they were playing. The whole “ vintage" thing” started after that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,936 Posts
I have a couple of thoughts to add to Milandro’s. I Agree on keeping original ( it can only be original once). However maybe you can find another that’s been relacquered to your liking and swap?
Next thought, not sure if this service is available directly from Selmer? I don’t recall anyone ever commenting on that? Maybe worth an email to them. After all they should know the best way to handle that you would think?
Lastly, Milandro’s suggestion of gold plating. Done in 18k or 24k Gold would be beyond brilliant on stage and durability for years. Do your homework related to sound change or detail of that beautiful engraving. You want good thick plate not flash junk.
Good luck !

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sell it to me and buy a shiny new horn!!! Seriously. That's the exact horn I want - SBA tenor with original, dark, slightly worn lacquer. I'm not joking - I want that horn.

·
3,936 Posts
It also makes sense to buy a new Selmer. I’m just guessing that a full rebuild / refinish will run $3k+. It’s not just a squirt of paint. Pop for a new one and have best of both....this could be you.

·
1,679 Posts
Eeeyeeww that thing is butt ugly!
Do it yourself!...I've relacquered many SBAs.
BTW. I think Michael's is having a sale on the large spray cans.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think all of that archaic scratching on the bell and bow can be buffed out when you have the horn stripped and re-finished. It will pop on stage far better with a more smooth, reflective surface on the bell!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I think all of that archaic scratching on the bell and bow can be buffed out when you have the horn stripped and re-finished. It will pop on stage far better with a more smooth, reflective surface on the bell!
And thinner vibrates more!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Great humor. It is next to impossible to match that dark gold lacquer on a vintage Selmer such as this one. A serious response to where to send a saxophone to be relacquered is John Utech in Wisconsin. My repair apprentice sent a school rescue Mark VI tenor to him and he did a beautiful job.

View attachment 187609

·
3,936 Posts
Lol, that was well done. Rubies .....

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
That was a good one! I realized it was a gag after I came to from the shock. BTW, how is it a Super Action when it looks just like a Balanced Action?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts