Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for a second sax - tenor Bb - and I could get a very clean Dixon Super Deluxe WWX 525 for Can $ 700.00. Unfortunately, the owner is far from my location, so it's hard for me to try it.

I don't know anything about Dixon saxes and quality, so my questio is : good deal or not.

FYI : my sax dealer offers me a good instrument but a bit too expensive for a second "leisure" sax...

Thanks to reply.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Not a major brand, at least in the US. Assuming you are talking about a new or newish horn, it is probably a label put on a Taiwan or China made horn. Quality is hard to know, but my guess is not great. If you want a budget tenor, and are interested in a vintage horn check out whatever JayeSF has at the moment. There was also someone selling an overhauled King Cleveland on here for cheap. If you want new, you are probably better off with one of the better known Asian-made brands.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Arstove,

my budget is Can $ 1000 or less. I can get the one I spoke or an old Sleelmer Bunny for $ 900.

·
2,597 Posts
I liked "Sleelmer Bunny." You can do better than a Bundy for that amount.

You should check out what JayeSF on here has - he usually has budget vintage horns that are in playable shape, better values than the ones you are looking at, and he is straitforward to deal with. (I bought two horns from him.) He also has a website - www.2ndending.com - but he has more horns than are listed on there, but it will give you an idea of what he has.

There are plenty of other reputable sellers too, and there are a lot of decent horns out there you can get for less than $1000 - '60s Conn 10M, Keilwerth stencils, King Cleveland, etc. (The really cheap Cleveland I saw earlier got sold.) If you want new, the Kessler and Bauhaus Walstein that folks on here seem to like might be in your price range (I have not played them).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear rtstove,

sleemer Bunny....yep, is it useful to add that I was last night very tired....not drunk ??:(

I looked at your link and unfortunately, most of the saxes are already sold. I guess the web page isn't update, so maybe I should contact him to see what he has in stock.

You mentioned Keilwerth stencils ; BTW i can get a Weltklang in great shape for $ 400,00. Know this brand ? Appears to be a german brand; saxes built in EX Tchekoslovakia.

·
2,597 Posts
Definitely check directly with JayeSF - he seems to have a lot of horns not listed on his website. I don't know that much about Weltklangs - I think some folks like them, but I don't know if some models/years are better than others. A decent horn in great shape (i.e. new pads, plays up and down, etc.) for $400 is hard to beat, though.

·
2,597 Posts
p.s. If you make a new post with either a more general heading asking about affordable tenors, or one asking specifically about the Weltklang, you will probably get responses from a lot more people.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
Jojo...I sent you a PM.

Art, thanks for the referral. Dammit, yeah, I have to update the site...I have a whole slew of newly rehabbed Tenors about to hit the airwaves....

·
6,862 Posts
Hey Jojo

A friend of mine who is a sax tech here in Halifax has a Dixon alto that he fixed up for resale. I haven't played it, but he says it's pretty good. Not much of a point there, sorry! :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot but sorry, I'm in search of a tenor. I have a straight soprano which I cannot play anymore. I had a major surgery last year and some other health problem and standing in the position to play straight sop is a major issue. I would be willing to trade it against a tenor sax. Anyone there interested ??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts