Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small screw on bell clamp is missing. anybody got one? Al I need to finish this job. Thanks for any direction

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
posting twice the same request won’t help anymore than posting it once

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
A good tech, well equipped, makes the parts he cannot source.
And that is often cheaper because of the enormous amount of time taken up, often unsuccessfully, to source less common parts via uncooperative agents or manufacturer.

·
38,782 Posts
this is a metric screw and shouldn’t be difficult to source, you could also fairly easily ask a Yamaha authorized repair centre near you.

·
38,782 Posts
wow $8 for a minuscule screw sounds like... getting screwed :twisted:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Unfortunately Yamaha who has maintained reasonable prices for their parts for many years, has now raised them significantly to be more like the other major brands. Picking up "parts horns" on Ebay and in pawn shops is starting to look better all the time. The only downside for a small shop like mine is where to store them all I suppose it is possible to strip the parts from the sax and then file and catalog them, but that represents a tremendous amount of work. The photo below taken at a NAPBIRT workshop shows how shops with a large wall area can store "parts instruments".

View attachment 220212

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
A good tech, well equipped, makes the parts he cannot source.
And that is often cheaper because of the enormous amount of time taken up, often unsuccessfully, to source less common parts via uncooperative agents or manufacturer.
True.. are you saying he should find a good tech, well equipped, to make the part he is having a hard time locating? Honestly, I wouldn't have thought of that, I'd probably spend a TON of time looking for it on the internet and then give up if I didn't find it.

·
38,782 Posts
all of a sudden being able to make things seems to have re acquired a purpose not only a nobility.

·
17,204 Posts
wow $8 for a minuscule screw sounds like... getting screwed :twisted:

The trouble is, I cannot make one for $8, so that's presumably how they set the price.

·
17,204 Posts
True.. are you saying he should find a good tech, well equipped, to make the part he is having a hard time locating? ...
Indeed, but it won't be the cheapest screw in the world!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Cap screws look just as nice, get your self a small box of generic black Metric and Imperial Cap screws and then raid it as required.

Not that it helps, I personally just make my own screws as required, being in australia, ordering from a supplier can take months (I kid you not), so most techs I believe down my way just simply learn some basic machining and do it themselves.

Steve

·
17,204 Posts
... I personally just make my own screws as required, being in australia, ordering from a supplier can take months (I kid you not), so most techs I believe down my way just simply learn some basic machining and do it themselves.

Steve
And it's not just the time wait. The supplier as often as not sends a tiny part in a huge carton with shipping costs to match. Yamaha Japan is especially good at this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
3mm domed hex set screw-get 2 so they both match. will fit perfectly and cost peanuts- you will need the Allen key to tighten 'em of course. Might not be original but so what? they look nice and work great -don't over tighten BTW....

·
Banned
566 Posts
Small screw on bell clamp is missing. anybody got one? Al I need to finish this job. Thanks for any direction
the bodytube-bow clamp on the 61 yamaha's are different from the 62 yamaha's.
even the 21 yamaha is different but the 31 is like the same as the 61.
these are also usually glued at this joint,so one screw should be enough.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the tips. I have already removed the bell and done the necessary repairs, and re epoxyed the bell and re installed the one good screw. I'm sure it is sufficent mechanically, just want to make it perfect. Really great horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Do you have a sample screw? I can make one fairly cheap if you do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts