Sax on the Web Forum banner

Need a place to try mpc in Philadelphia!!!

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  SaxmanTy1 
#1 ·
All, this is now my second post. I'm looking for some good places in the Philadelphia are to try out a good selection of mpc. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Also, does anyone know someone really trustworthy to do mouthpeice work in the Philadelphia area??

Thanks so much in advance for the help!

#2 ·
Mouthpieces

You might try Sam Ash.
I had a good experience at their King of Prussia store, although their inventory was a little low as it was the end of the year. I believe they have several locations in the Philly area.

Sam Ash Music
King Of Prussia
139 East DeKalb Pike
King Of Prussia, PA 19406

Phone: (610) 265-6444
(610) 265-6488

#3 ·
been there, done that

Thanks for the suggestion. They had a decent set of peices, a few weeks back, but they don't have the full knowledge base to go with it. They had one jody jazz (DV) that was worthwhile, but for 500, it has to knock my socks off.

I was hoping of a place that specializes in this sort of thing.

I remember a couple of years back, that k.o.p. store actually had a huge selection of everything (even mark VIs!)

Thanks for the suggestion!

#9 ·
The Sam Ash in franklin mills mall have a good variety of mouthpieces but not a good selection of different facings and things like that . but you should take a drive or take the train up to new york -- it's not that far and it will be worth it and save you some time

#13 ·
All, I agree that the sam ash stores (Kop, cherry hill and franklin mills - with the last being the least) have some selection. But they don't have much if you are really trying to temper your sound. It also depends on when you go.

The KOP guys are nice, but I don't know if they are sax players. However, they did mention that Sam Ash is going to try to go upscale in this area to differentiate themselves from the rental stores and walmart.

It would be nice to see them improve their selections.

I remember the heyday of Zaphs music, which was one of the best places to try stuff...

As far as the southern jersey place, please keep us all posted! I'd give at least 2 wooden nickles for a place to try more mpcs!!!

#14 ·
If you want, you're welcome to come up to the Nazareth Music Center, up here in the Lehigh Valley. It's only about an hour drive up 476. We have plenty of pieces for you to try, and anything we don't have we can get. Also I love to talk to costumers about saxophones and mouthpieces. it gets me away from the repair bench for a little bit... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.