Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the 10th grade and for the past 2 years have been playing on an otto link from the early 90's / late 80's. It is a 9* (125) and I love it. However it is getting worn out, and I would like to look into something new. I am the lead player at my school, and hope to get something that can blend, but I can make scream.(sounds like every sax players dream). Any suggestions? I do not want to go down in facing, I love that size of mpc.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
What do you mean 'worn out'?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by worn out either, but maybe a refacer might be a cheaper option. Otherwise, I would suggest a middle of the road mouthpiece rather than a bright mouthpiece with a high baffle. A good example of this on tenor is Bob Mintzer, Jeff Coffin, or Brecker in his Link years. Those guys can wail just as much as anyone I've ever heard.

I recently moved from a JodyJazz DV to a Meyer small chamber on alto. It is much easier to blend and I can still achieve most of the same brightness/edge when I want it, with a bit less volume. I made the switch after I had to play 2nd alto on a gig and blending in volume was easy, but blending in tone took unnecessary effort that would be better directed toward playing the music.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By worn out, I mean it has been dropped by a couple of my friends, and the metal is at a point where it is really thin. I just want to try something new.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
It won't cost you much at all to try a Metalite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
dropping a mouthpiece is not a very good idea , al sorts of places can be damaged but almost anything could be repaired and perfected by a refacer, yes, at a price! Unless you have been polishing your mouthpiece with a buffing machine for a VERY long time, I seriously doubt that its metal could have been becoming too thin! Perhaps you are talking of the gold plating but that is a total irrelevant thickness of metal and even if it would be completely gone very little harm would be done to the mouthpiece.

Now let's face it, you WANT a new mouthpiece, there is nothing wrong with coming to terms with the Gear acquisition Syndrome (otherwise known as GAS) we all have been there, otherwise any sax player would have one horn and one mouthpiece ( believe me there are such freaks! :bluewink: )

You want to blend and to scream? This is a oxymoron , which, as you know is aa figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction.

9* huh? , Wow, are you sure you need that kind of a size? Size isn't everything nor is the thickness of the reed..........Anyway, who am I to suspect that a relatively young player doesn't need such a tip!

Anyway I suggest you try a Ponzol M1 mouthpiece which , in spite of the high baffle, can deliver a round and warm sound or stand up and be counted if you need any screaming ......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Milandro, yeah, I already know I have Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I use a 9* because is gives me my husky tone. Not to mention I hate going lower because it feels weird, and if what I have works for me, it works. I will look into the Ponzol m1.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
What kind of horn are you playing on? and, when you say scream your looking for something bright I take it?

I'd be getting something with a medium baffle whatever size opening you like, and put in a lot of practice time especially long tones, overtones, octaves and fifths. Get those things nailed down, and you'll be able to scream in whatever color you like, be it dark or bright.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,502 Posts
I 2nd the M1/.110 suggestion. I have owned one for awhile and I always gravitate back to it when I play in electric settings for cut through and solid focused wall of sound. I would not call it bright and I would say it is a paint peeler more like a deluge of a sound maker.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a M1 Ponzol (the M2 is rather brighter I have one for the alto and I love it!) the only drawback is the price of these things when new, but there are some on 2nd had offer here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Guardala Super King maybe?
Using a Link STM7* in high school. It's one of the brighter ones around. Gets me over anything I want, including our entire 18 piece Jazz Band, mixes perfectly if desired. If I really push it it gets a 'screamy' quality to it.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
It won't cost you much at all to try a Metalite.
Going from a Link to a Metalite is pretty drastic. Plus he says he wants to be able to scream and blend. Screaming will not be a problem with the Metalite but I don't know about blending. Anyway,just my opinion and yes I have played both Links and Metalites.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,502 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a M1 Ponzol (the M2 is rather brighter I have one for the alto and I love it!) the only drawback is the price of these things when new, but there are some on 2nd had offer here and elsewhere.
I bought M1/.110 from "clickrec" a year ago for $175. Finish was worn off in places and some ligature scratches but rails and tip were perfect and it plays which is what its all about. However I took a chance and bought a first edition Guardala Laser trimmed "Studio" model .115 recently just to see what DG mpcs. are all about. B

1 - 15 of 15 Posts