Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been playing the tenor for about 2 years, and I just purchased my sax a few months ago. It a yts-275, I got it second hand in beautiful condition. Anyway, when I was renting, I used Meyer 5m that was quite dated. Now, I am using a yamaha 4c and I find the chamber/opening thing to small. I have 150aud(115usd) maximum to spend on my mouthpiece. I use a 3 D'addario Royal, but I also use Rico and Vandoren on occasion. I looking for a smoother jazz sound that can also be used in rock. I dont mind material, and looks dont bother me.
Thanks for you advice,
Aaron

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know your ability level, but I think it's good for beginners to learn how to get a big sound on a small tip opening like a 4c. A lot of inexperienced players (myself included when I was in grade school) move to a bigger tip opening in an effort to get a bigger sound and end up developing a lot of bad habits like biting. My suggestion would be to take more mouthpiece in your mouth (lower reed strength if necessary) and see how little embouchure pressure you can play with, potentially pushing the mouthpiece further in on the cork if the sound is a little flatter. You'd be surprised how big a sound you can get on a 4c when you let the reed vibrate fully, and I can guarantee that it won't feel small.

That being said, assuming you're playing with good technique and truly do need something bigger you really can't go wrong with the Vandorens. They are incredibly consistent and and are all priced right around $120usd new. They have something for everyone with their models Optimum, V5, V16, JAVA, and JUMBO JAVA in order of dark to bright. I'd probably suggest a JAVA t45 for the kind of settings you described, and it wouldn't be too crazy of a leap from the 4c.

Good luck and welcome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know your ability level, but I think it's good for beginners to learn how to get a big sound on a small tip opening like a 4c. A lot of inexperienced players (myself included when I was in grade school) move to a bigger tip opening in an effort to get a bigger sound and end up developing a lot of bad habits like biting. My suggestion would be to take more mouthpiece in your mouth (lower reed strength if necessary) and see how little embouchure pressure you can play with, potentially pushing the mouthpiece further in on the cork if the sound is a little flatter. You'd be surprised how big a sound you can get on a 4c when you let the reed vibrate fully, and I can guarantee that it won't feel small.

That being said, assuming you're playing with good technique and truly do need something bigger you really can't go wrong with the Vandorens. They are incredibly consistent and and are all priced right around $120usd new. They have something for everyone with their models Optimum, V5, V16, JAVA, and JUMBO JAVA in order of dark to bright. I'd probably suggest a JAVA t45 for the kind of settings you described, and it wouldn't be too crazy of a leap from the 4c.

Good luck and welcome
Thanks! is there a big differeence inbetween models? like t55 java?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
That being said, assuming you're playing with good technique and truly do need something bigger you really can't go wrong with the Vandorens.
Agreed. A good quality company with a variety of choices which won't break the bank, and perfect for developing players.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I concur with everything said above. I would just like to add if you really need a new piece the D'addario select new-ish tenor mouthpiece. That's an excellent all-round piece.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Was something wrong with the Meyer 5m? Why not try another
I agree. If you have the budget a 10mfan BW would be my suggestion but if you want a less expensive alternative a Meyer with a bigger tip would be hard to beat. Meyers are very fine on tenor, IMO.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
A friend who is a great tenor player recommended I try a Jody Jazz Jet 7. They are relatively inexpensive ($200), and you can "audition" one from WWBW. It has a nice edge when pushed and still responds easily in the low register. I have never found a tenor mouthpiece I have liked better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your responses, I found a mouthpiece store so I’m gonna go try them out. I’ll let you know how it turns out

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
A friend who is a great tenor player recommended I try a Jody Jazz Jet 7. They are relatively inexpensive ($200), and you can "audition" one from WWBW. It has a nice edge when pushed and still responds easily in the low register. I have never found a tenor mouthpiece I have liked better.
I dont think I would suggest a Jet to a 2 year player. I wouldnt suggest anything that far to the edges of the bell curve. Most newer players sound god-awfal on bright and edgy mouthpieces. A good player can do make any piece sound good but moving from a 4c to a Jet is IMHO just asking for some really ugly sound. Id suggest a lower to moderate baffled hard rubber piece with a round chamber. Also a tip that is not silly big. 5*-6* tops. There are a lot of pieces that fit that description from links, to vandorens, and on up in price.

You dont need to go spend 3 and 400 on a mpc at this stage. I guess if you have money to burn you can but there is about a 99.9 percent probability that this will not be your mouthpiece for a long period of time....especially if you hang out on sax forums! At this stage focus on building skills with reasonable tools.

If you are looking under 200 dollars I would go with a link style piece vs a Meyer. I have to say that I am no fan of Meyers on tenor. I think they are a bit dull. That being said, try a Meyer, Links..New vintage Links (a good choice if you find a good one). Try some Vandoren. I find the v16 rubber a bit bright but thats my taste. The jody jazz rubber is ok but I dont get too excited over it. I make a piece that is 250 but you dont NEED to spend that.

On a budget Id look for a new vintage link myself...you just need to play several and find one that plays well. I think they have some bang for the buck in terms of tonal quality and versatility.

Nothing wrong with buying used either!

best of luck

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'd suggest a lower to moderate baffled hard rubber piece with a round chamber. Also a tip that is not silly big. 5*-6* tops. There are a lot of pieces that fit that description from links, to vandorens, and on up in price.

You dont need to go spend 3 and 400 on a mpc at this stage.

If you are looking under 200 dollars I would go with a link style piece vs a .... I make a piece that is 250 but you dont NEED to spend that.

On a budget Id look for a new vintage link myself...you just need to play several and find one that plays well. I think they have some bang for the buck in terms of tonal quality and versatility.
(Hey Phil! How are things down in the "South"? Ya, soakin' up the local dialect?)

Aaron01, what a lucky guy you are! You received good points of view from some great players. And when a maker like Phil here speaks... it's sort of like getting a free $100 lesson!

I've been playing metal Otto Link "Super Tone Master" 5* for a long time. I have 3 of them. I play Legere, Fibracell and Rico Royal reeds, so sometimes a reed will work on one better than the other. If a cane reed sucks on all three of them... NEXT!

After wondering about how to move a little more air and over-thinking everything for months... I saved up all my dimes and nickels to order an Otto Link Tone Edge 6*. Two or three online retailers had Tone Edge MPs for the same price. I think it was $112 with shipping.

I really like it. The rails and tip look good, good reed suction. Slapped some really nasty reeds that wouldn't play on the STMs and they played OK! Easy to put a reed on too. Glad I got a 6* and not a 6. Not sure the tip opening makes as big a difference as the shape of the STMs vs the hard rubber fitting in my mouth. I had to stick a bite patch on it right away too.

Good luck on your trip to the mouthpiece store! Y'all needs to tell us how that adventure worked out Bubba!

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
I would say to go with a Meyer 7M. Nice easy blowing with a good sound.
I have a Meyer 7M HR and a Meyer 7M metal. Lately, I’ve been playing the HR more than the metal mouthpiece but I like both.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always end up back on my HR Vandoren Java T75 (not the jumbo java). This piece is very versatile. Meyer is one of my top choices for alto, but not for tenor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts