Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I think I have some decent equipment, but I think I'll need a few more things then I'm set. Here's what I've got so far:

-Custom built pc with a X-Fi Elite Pro sound card
-Logitech 5.1 surround speakers 5100 series I think
-Yamaha DGX-203 keyboard
-Cubase LE

Ok... here's my first question: The DGX-203 doesn't have a MIDI output, it has a USB output. My goal is to use my keyboard as a MIDI device
Should I:
-Get the standard USB connector to connect the Keyboard to the Computer via USB? Would thatstill get the same results as using a MIDI interface?
-Or do I buy a special cord that converts the usb to a midi cable and plug it into my X-Fi breakout box so I can use it as a MIDI device? (If so where do I find these?)

My next question is what mic/mixer do you think I should get? I don't need like SUPER top quality, but I'd like something on the advanced side seeing as I have a pretty nice setup otherwise.

By the way, I have plenty of time to get this stuff and research - I'm moving to a new house in about a month or month in a half maybe where I'll have a studio room.

Thanks,
opt

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, cool thanks for that info on the keyboard.

And for the mic/mixer... Maybe 200$ (including a mic stand)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alright, well I think I've made a pretty smart choice...

I have a SM57 at my mom's house - Might as well carry it back and forth in my sax bag so I dont spend 100 bucks on a new one. Then I'll get a stand, the TubeMP USB preamp, and the Keyboard USB cable

anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I already have a cable... but it's pretty long to be carrying back and forth I'll just get another one

thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick Adams said:
And by the way, how did you train your flute to play the classical sax? ;)
Years of rigorous training. I'm pretty sure you can find my practice logs in the practice section.. titled something like "Training your flute to play classical sax"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts