Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I think I have some decent equipment, but I think I'll need a few more things then I'm set. Here's what I've got so far:

-Custom built pc with a X-Fi Elite Pro sound card
-Logitech 5.1 surround speakers 5100 series I think
-Yamaha DGX-203 keyboard
-Cubase LE

Ok... here's my first question: The DGX-203 doesn't have a MIDI output, it has a USB output. My goal is to use my keyboard as a MIDI device
Should I:
-Get the standard USB connector to connect the Keyboard to the Computer via USB? Would thatstill get the same results as using a MIDI interface?
-Or do I buy a special cord that converts the usb to a midi cable and plug it into my X-Fi breakout box so I can use it as a MIDI device? (If so where do I find these?)

My next question is what mic/mixer do you think I should get? I don't need like SUPER top quality, but I'd like something on the advanced side seeing as I have a pretty nice setup otherwise.

By the way, I have plenty of time to get this stuff and research - I'm moving to a new house in about a month or month in a half maybe where I'll have a studio room.

Thanks,
opt

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
From the yamaha website:
'In addition, the USB port acts as a MIDI interface, freeing you from having to purchase other MIDI peripherals like cables and adapters to play music. Simply connect to your computer, open your favorite music software program and hit PLAY. That's it.'

As far as mic/mixer: How much do you want to spend? A ballpark will do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, cool thanks for that info on the keyboard.

And for the mic/mixer... Maybe 200$ (including a mic stand)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Get the standard USB connector. You should be able to plug the USB directly into you computer.

You can't go wrong with a Shure SM57. For a mic it's a great workhorse and can always be used for something if you upgrade later.
I use a Behringer UB2442FX Pro and a Behringer XENYX802. Both have phantom power and are relativly inexpensive.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/ is a good place to do research.

Good luck.

<listen to Hakukani. He knows his stuff>

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
Opt12,

you have to decide whether you are going dynamic or condensor on the mic front, dynamic: Shure SM57/58 condensor: Rode NT1 or similar

The condensor will need phantom power from the mixer. What do you need the mixer to be able to do? Perhaps a mic preamp with a usb out would be enough. OR a condensor mic with built in preamp and usb (samson make one of these)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
Always good to have an SM57 around. I think they're still $85-$100. I admit to a slight predjudice against behringer products, although I have used them in the past. If you're doing sax only on mic, then there is probably little need to get a condenser mic.

CDD's recommendations are ok, too. A preamp that only has a couple of inputs would work well at home, or the USB mic is okay. I saw a USB mic recently that was $18,000. There are several more inexpensive ones. ;)

Not to be a shill or anything, but I have dealt with Full Compass for a number of years for my sound/video equipment needs. Their sales staff are quite knowledgeable up to date on the latest gear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alright, well I think I've made a pretty smart choice...

I have a SM57 at my mom's house - Might as well carry it back and forth in my sax bag so I dont spend 100 bucks on a new one. Then I'll get a stand, the TubeMP USB preamp, and the Keyboard USB cable

anything I'm missing?

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
XLR mic cable? (or two--I'm paranoid). Although if you already have a mic you probably have a mic cable...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I already have a cable... but it's pretty long to be carrying back and forth I'll just get another one

thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick Adams said:
And by the way, how did you train your flute to play the classical sax? ;)
Years of rigorous training. I'm pretty sure you can find my practice logs in the practice section.. titled something like "Training your flute to play classical sax"

·
Registered
8 Posts
hakukani said:
...I admit to a slight predjudice against behringer products, although I have used them in the past.
I too would have to warn you to stay away from Behringer products. While they have a couple of great products, in the long run Behringer will become a very expensive investment [especially w/ constant replacement]. When it comes to pro audio and recording gear, i go by this motto: "Buy right, or buy twice."

If you're still looking for a mixing board, Yamaha has USB mixers that are based off of their MG series mixers. Yamaha MW10 [MG10/2] and MW12 [MG12/4].

*edit* I just realized, that my reply is almost a month too late, but it may be of some help to other surfers! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts