Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Luxor Solo is tearing up my left thumb. Does anyone make any nice left hand thumb rests? I would love to get one like my Martin Comm I with the contoured shape. ANy ideas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
You could always build your own with plumber's epoxy and shape it like your Martin's. It would be much cheaper and easily reversible...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Find a tech who is willing to get a sheet of 1/4" yellow brass and see if he is willing to copy it. All he would have to do after shaping, bending, and finishing is silver solder it on a brass chimney and lead solder it to the body. Take him your MC so he has a working model for comparison during the process, and it should not be a major ordeal.;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
JerryJamz2 said:
...silver solder it on a brass chimney...
Where does one get such a 'brass chimney'...i have made them before out of brass tubing stock, but it takes a while with makeshift sanders and files.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
shmuelyosef said:
Where does one get such a 'brass chimney'...i have made them before out of brass tubing stock, but it takes a while with makeshift sanders and files.
From any manufacturer who has a brass chimney on one of their instruments. In our shop we have taken 1" OAL X 1" OD solid brass stock, shaped the end concavely using a bench grinder(with a small wheel) and drilled the center out in our lathe using a 1/2" bit. This will leave each side wall with a thickness of 1/8". Or you can use it solid w/o drilling. We also take down the outside wall diameter (OD) and face the other end flat (now the top of the chimney), to proper height, as required by the set-up, in our lathe if needed. fwiw - this is not a DIY job unless you have maching capabilities, in most instances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts