Sax on the Web Forum banner

Need a custom alto case that doubles as a full backpack and is waterproof...

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  FullTimeSax 
#1 ·
Hello all. I've been backpacking with my selmer series II alto saxophone for the last 27 months, and originally left with a protec gig bag (hard shell).

After I was in a flood in the jungle and my horn got soaked, the case had mildew and fell apart so I bought a soft little thing that is kind of like a saxophone case. After multiple homebrew failures and then a catastrophic repairman failure in guatemala, I needed the help of a real professional and flew to France to get the horn fixed.

Now I'm back in Korea but getting ready for a long, dirty journey in the middle of nowhere and am tired of being unbalanced and having to baby my horn.

I need a new case. I need a very special case that is hard shelled, comfortable like a backpackers pack, and has enough storage space for 3 changes of clothes plus assorted odds and ends.

I looked at the fusion F1 cases:

http://www.fusion-bags.com/products/brass-amp-woodwind-gig-bags

They seem okay, I like that the backpack detaches... but I'm worried about water resistance, internal capacity and quality.

Does anyone have a recommendation, or experience with the Fusion cases? Knowledge of a company who would entertain making me a case like I want? A company that already makes a durable pack case that includes storage space, water resistance (dust/sand, too), and has comfort options for heavy loads?

See less See more
#5 ·
Hello Torbeume. If you were to go to N.Y., then I would suggest at Mike Manning Custom Case. It is a fiberglass case that is custom built around your exact saxophone....not just the name brand, but your EXACT sax. He uses rubber valance instead of aluminum to assure a more waterproof seal. They would need your sax for 24-48 hours to build the case around your sax. This is the only case on the market, (other than a Hoffee carbon fiber guitar case), that you can dump buckets of water on and open the case to find that your sax is dry.

And just so you and EVERYONE knows.....I am NOT a paid endorser for this case, or for anything for that matter. It's just simply the best case on the market made today.

Bada-bing!
Yeah, I think Manning can make anything you want if you're willing to part with the cash.

#7 ·
FYI- A new Selmer flight case for a single Tenor sax is $600, a Walt johnson single Tenor case is $400....my Mike Manning Soprano/Tenor double case was less than the Selmer! Extremely reasonable pricing. A single Tenor case from Mike would run you slightly more than the Walt......but I paid almost $4,000 for my Custom Yamaha 875B Tenor and I refuse to put it in a case that wont protect my investment.

Just my 2 cents.

#6 ·
Hrmm... cool, I'll give Mike Manning a hit and see if I can get something made. I've tried to do the "travel with a cheap horn" thing, but it's how I make my living on the road, and I end up buying and selling, buying and selling repeatedly.

Thanks for the infos.

#8 ·
Hrmm... cool, I'll give Mike Manning a hit and see if I can get something made. I've tried to do the "travel with a cheap horn" thing, but it's how I make my living on the road, and I end up buying and selling, buying and selling repeatedly.

Thanks for the infos.
I understand the desire to travel with cheap horns...but it hurts your tone, makes playing a drag, and ultimately can damage your reputation among the folks booking you. I have been told by many people that they called me for a gig because of my tone. So I say grab a Manning case and travel with the instrument that helps you play like you. I can carry mine on an airplane no problem....and I know Jaared has traveled with his double Manning cases all over the world this year.

Happy case hunting!
Rob

#10 ·
Not sure....but I do know that they have made bari cases for guys that have been successful in carrying them on airplanes and putting them in the overhead compartment! And the case has removable wheels...very cool. I saw one in the process of being made. Give them a shout and tell them Rob Maletick sent you (I was just in there on Tuesday);

http://sites.google.com/site/manningcustom/

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.