Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I got my sax back from the tech, and was able to test out the Protec XL case, which I've read is a nice fit for many vintage horns. Unfortunately I encountered a couple issues, and I wondered if anyone could guide me toward a better fitting case.

I've attached a couple pictures. The main problem is that the martin neck is too long for the cutout in this case. It simply won't fit. If no other case will fit the horn better I'll just get a pouch and shove it into the bell.

The other potential issue is that there is a fair amount of pressure on the braces near the bottom of the horn. This horn has tone holes on the back. The padding in this case is super soft, so I'd like to think that won't be an issue, but I would like to know what the community thinks.

What cases would you all recommend I check out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Go to Forum - Saxophone Accessories - Cases and you will find a sticky called "Definitive case compatibility chart" that will list your options.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Been using Protec XL for years on my "The Martin Tenor.". My neck fits into the compartment, although it is snug.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
I've carried my Martin in the identical Protec case. It is just form fitting Expanded PolyStyrene (EPS), otherwise known as Styrofoam. Use something (not the thumbscrew on the neck) to collapse the foam in that area. Presto, a "custom fit" for a Martin neck. Not as good as a real custom case, but it's three minutes instead of three hours.

Mark

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I have the XL protec case and the horn fits fine. And if you screw the neck clamp screw all the way in the neck does fit in that neck compartment. It's just very snug, as already said. I've been using this case for at least 10 years with my Comm III tenor and no probs. However, you can also get a nice foam bag or sack for the neck and then put it in the bell. That's something many people do with their necks in other cases that don't have neck compartments. So truthfully, I think you're creating a problem for yourself where there isn't one. As they say, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I love the contoured ProTec cases. I have no less than five of them for my various horns. Having said that, the interior design has changed MULTIPLE times over the years. Some things better, some worse in my opinion. Also, if you purchase one, be SURE to put some zip ties around the top and bottom parts of the shoulder straps. Those "screws" that rotate CAN snap/break, sending your case flying while it's on your shoulder. Ask me how I know.

View attachment 243312

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all,

Thanks for all the great advice!

I'll see about it fitting into the cutout by tightening the screw on the neck and/or compressing some foam in that cutout. That seems to be the general consensus here.

The Hiscox cases are a bit pricey for me unfortunately. However, I think I live close to an SKB store, so I'll check there as well if I can't get the neck to fit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the contoured ProTec cases. I have no less than five of them for my various horns. Having said that, the interior design has changed MULTIPLE times over the years. Some things better, some worse in my opinion. Also, if you purchase one, be SURE to put some zip ties around the top and bottom parts of the shoulder straps. Those "screws" that rotate CAN snap/break, sending your case flying while it's on your shoulder. Ask me how I know.

View attachment 243312
Thanks for that tip as well, I'll be sure to do that. I believe the case is sturdy, but no need to go testing it needlessly right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts
I have my Martin tenor in that Protec XL case. It looks like the neck doesn't fit, but it really does. Like Jazz Is All says, it's snug. But it works. You can also screw the neck screw in all the way and/or push into the styrofoam with a tool to create a bit more space. I switch out horns depending on which horn I'm taking to the gig, but I always take the same case - a Protec but NOT the XL with the neck compartment - because it has my stand on one side and my reeds and neck strap on the other. In that case, I use a neck and mouthpiece pouch that goes in the bell. I used to not want to put anything in the bell but the pouch is well-padded and is shaped to fit in the bell. The one I got was a Kiwi NeckPak. I just looked for it online and it seems to be unavailable everywhere. But I see that ProTec makes a neck and mouthpiece pouch. Costs $12.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
For my horns with no neck space in the case, I have the neck in a Crown Royal bag in the neck. Haven't had an issue with it in 15 years, and I can always enjoy getting a new bag!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
For my horns with no neck space in the case, I have the neck in a Crown Royal bag in the neck. Haven't had an issue with it in 15 years, and I can always enjoy getting a new bag!
I have been using the Crown Royal bag for baritone since about 1986.

Way back in high school I remember playing a King Zephyr bari that had an original padded red velvet pouch for the neck to fit in the bell. I've never seen another one.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I store most my necks in the bell. I bought a package of micro fiber polishing towels from Costco. I think they are about $14 and were in a package of 36. They are high quality and cover a neck with plenty to spare. I have used them all.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I store most my necks in the bell. I bought a package of micro fiber polishing towels from Costco. I think they are about $14 and were in a package of 36. They are high quality and cover a neck with plenty to spare. I have used them all.
And there's always cutting up an old T shirt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I was able to get the neck into the cutout, but it did seem very very snug. I also ordered a little padded bag to put the neck in the bell with should I change my mind about where to keep it. I really appreciate the help folks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts