Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an old Conn tenor. Says something like "patent 1914", silver finish a couple of lilliputian dings, pads are in great shape, which is remarkable because the woman I bought it off of said its been in an attic for at least seven decades. Also came with an old Conn mouthpiece, with a metal sleeve to adjust pitch.
Anyway like most of those old instruments, the case is junk. Is this going to be an issue getting a case for this thing. Someone is selling a second hand yamaha case, but the high pad guards, big bell, I think it might not fit. Thanks for any help, suggestions and advice

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,344 Posts

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,344 Posts
Recognize that Conn made other models than just the one's on this chart, so once you think you have identified your model, I would find some pics of that model, and verify.
Also, since this may be an old model, you should look beneath the serial number on the back (below the thumb rest) and see if there is an L for low pitch (standard pitch), or an H for high pitch. If it is an H, it will not play in tune with modern instruments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming the chart is correct, looks like a new wonder from 1924. Definitely a low pitch model; I am primrily a clarinetist, so I know to avoid the "HP" designations like the plague.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts