Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good mouthpiece that will allow me to blend with the band but still be able to flip the switch and get hot like this?

around 1:48

also, what is a good piece to play ballads on? I own a dukoff D7 that i play all types of jazz on and a selmer c* that i attempt to play ballads on because the dukoff makes me cut thriugh the band and seem like a jerk.
p.s.- i want to sound like Getz as much as humanly possible on ballads.

thanks in advance

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
An Otto Link or similar mouthpiece with a large chamber and a rollover baffle. Hard Rubber or Metal, either works. Getz played a metal Link earlier in his career but played a HR one for most of it. The guy in the clip looks to be playing a metal Link.

·
1,127 Posts
There really isn't a generic answer as to what to use to blend, because it depends largely on those around you (so without hearing the band and knowing how you play, any advice is just a personal opinion based on our own preferences).

A few other things that should play into the decision are:

*Whether you're lead or second
*Your sax
*The type of charts that band tends to play most frequently

From my own experience playing lead in a big band setting (mostly playing on a Super 20), 90% of the time I go for my vintage Berg...but I also briefly used a STM Link.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree with VintageSaxGuy. I play 2nd and used to play a Soloist with my Buescher. At the moment I'm mostly playing my 10M with a STM NY but I have a Philtone Tone Edge on order. For me the Links work very nice, versatile pieces. But it will always be personal preference, our 1st tenor plays a bigger tip S80 and sounds great on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
stm or stmny will work fine, especially if you get a good one, some of the mpc refacers like Ed Zentera, Phil tone etc can really make this sort of pieces sing. Sakshama link or one done by Morgan Fry (floridated link) is another option. there are lots of HR pieces too these days that are good too. I used a soloist exclusively the last couple of years, I recently switched to another HR piece ( marmaduke by alex myatake) . check out Steve Neff's site for examples.
Dukoff is not the first thing that would come to mind when you need to blend with other horns.
Since you come from either a high baffle piece or one with a smaller chamber the transition to a link might need a little work, be prepared for that.
Medium sized chambers or pieces with a bit of baffle maybe would be a better choice to start exploring.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,316 Posts
The Tenor soloist is KILLER

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'll be playing Brilhart Tonalin from now on in Big Band

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The guy in the video sounds great, but not because of the mouthpiece he is playing. It's because he is an advanced player who has developed his sound and chops over a number of years. That being said, you want to look for something that will give you the feel/response you need and get you in the ballpark in terms of the eq you are looking for. Unless you are an advanced player, I would recommend something in a smallish tip with a rollover baffle. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
What's a good mouthpiece that will allow me to blend with the band but still be able to flip the switch and get hot like this?

around 1:48
Get a good Otto Link. Or pay a little more, and get a good modified/refaced/custom Otto Link. PhilTone's Custom Tone Edge is worth the money because it will definitely play well. I also like the Tenor Madness Custom Tone Edge, which (I believe) is created from an Early Babbitt mold. If you prefer metal, I'm currently loving my Warburton modified STM-NY, which plays as well as any Florida Link I've played.

By the way, the vocalist in your video clip, John Stevens, was on American Idol when he was 16. I think he made it pretty far.

·
2,767 Posts
This is all just opinion. Many are good suggestions but the bottom line is this; any tenor mouthpiece is good for big band. The key is knowing how to play in a section. It's all about concept. If you really know how to play, you'll know what the right mouthpieces are.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The soloist definitely has great chops, but the solo didn't really seem to fit the style of the song. Seemed a bit overplayed to me. Judging by the reaction of the other sax players, he probably likes to show off his chops quite frequently. I'm probably just jealous though. [rolleyes]

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,886 Posts
The soloist definitely has great chops, but the solo didn't really seem to fit the style of the song. Seemed a bit overplayed to me. Judging by the reaction of the other sax players, he probably likes to show off his chops quite frequently. I'm probably just jealous though. [rolleyes]
+1. More than a bit overplayed.

I like the male singer, who has a nice feel for this Louis Prima tune.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's hard to have both the best blending and the best "on fire" mouthpiece. For many years I played Link STM for section work. Excellent blend! If you are lucky enough to find one with some power and edge, the solo work too will be fine. I was fortunate then to have many Florida Links.

But if I were to shop today I would just get one of the modern Link-style mouthpieces. Lately I have been playing one of the Tenor Madness EB Tone Edge pieces and it's really good. I suspect a Ted Klum mouthpiece will serve you well. Blending is important. Just be sure to know where that mic is when you solo!

·
2,309 Posts
This is all just opinion. Many are good suggestions but the bottom line is this; any tenor mouthpiece is good for big band. The key is knowing how to play in a section. It's all about concept. If you really know how to play, you'll know what the right mouthpieces are.
Barry,
Thank you...I was starting to think all intelligence had left this forum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.