Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I am currently playing alto and am at a lost with neck straps!

I have had neck problems in the past, (horse riding injury) which seem to be fine now and I don’t have any issue. I am fine playing now as I have swapped to alto from tenor :( and using the Jazzlab saxholder. It doesn’t give me a neck ache but I don’t find it comfy at all, especially standing as it seems to change the angle of the mouthpiece. Not a fan!

Does anyone have any suggestions of possible neckstraps to try? I have tried a couple of harnesses, however, I am quite skinny and found they were too big but I could revisit some?

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been using a Protec "less-stress" padded neckstrap (with the metal adjusting bar) for the past few weeks and it's been great for me. Although it looks a lot like the traditional type it replaced, it adjusts higher without tightening up and clamping off my jugulars. My playing is even worse without bloodflow to my brain.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I've been using a Protec "less-stress" padded neckstrap (with the metal adjusting bar) for the past few weeks and it's been great for me. Although it looks a lot like the traditional type it replaced, it adjusts higher without tightening up and clamping off my jugulars. My playing is even worse without bloodflow to my brain.
Does that strap have the stretch material? I found the old Protec straps to bounce too much.

My fav' is the Just Joe's Gel Strap - immensely comfortable, and the slider only moves when you want it to. I now have one for each horn (sop/alto/tenor/tenor).

It avoids the "choking" situation by allowing each user to order the length they need.

https://justjoessaxgelstrap.com/

·
Registered
670 Posts
So far, I have not found anything better than the Just Joe's gel strap and have been using one for a few years now (I play mainly tenor) . I have had many straps through the years (Neotech etc. and the Just Joe's beats them all. One I have never tried , but looks like it would work, is the Vandoren v neck strap (not the harness) . If anyone has ever tried this one , please share .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
So far, I have not found anything better than the Just Joe's gel strap and have been using one for a few years now (I play mainly tenor) . I have had many straps through the years (Neotech etc. and the Just Joe's beats them all. One I have never tried , but looks like it would work, is the Vandoren v neck strap (not the harness) . If anyone has ever tried this one , please share .
"Neotech" - That's what I was thinking of when I wrote "too bouncy". Thanks for that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Does that strap have the stretch material? I found the old Protec straps to bounce too much.

My fav' is the Just Joe's Gel Strap - immensely comfortable, and the slider only moves when you want it to. I now have one for each horn (sop/alto/tenor/tenor).

It avoids the "choking" situation by allowing each user to order the length they need.

https://justjoessaxgelstrap.com/
:shock:........ :shock:........ :mrgreen:

BTW, I use a Cebula strap. Comfortable enough for my needs. If I ever need a replacement I also might try a Just Joe's, rather similar concept.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Also a Just Joe's fan here. Comfort-wise it's very good.
My one, tiny little issue is, I'm prefer to play in something akin to a T-shirt (I get too warm otherwise), so the strap is against my skin and after a little while, perspiration makes the leather sort of stick. If I could stand wearing collared shirts, with the strap outside the collar, there would be no issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I sometimes use a Cebulla for alto, but always use my Balam strap for tenor. The Balam puts no weight at all on the neck, distributing it instead to the trapezius. Trapezii? Trapeziuses.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
314 Posts
I currently own a cebulla, 1st generation sax holder, Vandoren universal harness plus many other cheaper harnesses along with the Balam strap. Of all of those, in my opinion the most comfortable is the Balam. It also looks nice. However it should be pointed out that I mainly play tenor and sometimes soprano. For soprano I use the cebulla.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It has no stretch at all, and has a notch in the pad to relieve the pressure on your vertebra(e).

View attachment 232306
That looks like a very good design and worth trying but I did a search and could not find one anywhere. There was one listed on a site named Midwest Musical Instruments and it said that the item was out of stock and no longer available

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I tried the NeoTech, the Neo Tech harness and neither did much for my upper back arthritis problems. I recently bought a Jazzlab Saxholder and am pretty well satisfied with it. It takes the weight off the neck and distributes it across the shoulders and ribcage and even the belly. When you first try it out it makes the tenor sax fell almost weightless.

There have been discussions just this week on Jazzlab Saxholder, Hooki and the Balam. Google is your friend. Check those threads out as well. There's a lot of in-depth analysis from actual users.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That looks like a very good design and worth trying but I did a search and could not find one anywhere. There was one listed on a site named Midwest Musical Instruments and it said that the item was out of stock and no longer available
That picture is from ebay, several sellers have them. Search for "protec neckstrap" and it's the first several results.

·
Registered
670 Posts
That picture is from ebay, several sellers have them. Search for "protec neckstrap" and it's the first several results.
I did do a search and the only one sellers seem to have is the regular protec straps , not the stress free model. I searced many sites (WWBW, musicians friend , the actual Protec website , amazon and several others , could not find that model of strap for sale. It really looks well made and would probably prevent the "choking" effect that you get with most straps. As much as I like my Just Joe's strap, it still gets a tad uncomfortable with the weight of a tenor sax on a long 4 hr gig while standing ( I am tall and thin) and sometimes play with t shirts so the weigh is still choking around my neck a bit.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts