Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 1970's Conn Shooting Star tenor which is in pretty good shape except the neck has been crushed. Aside from another Conn Shooting Star neck, which seem to be really hard to find without buying another horn, are there other make / model necks that would work with this horn? I see on eBay there are some generic necks but they look like they might not work given the octave key mechanism and tenon size, etc. Any and all guidance is much appreciated. I put out a request on the wanted-to-buy forum, however i don't have the requisite 6 months here so it got deleted. Thanks everyone for looking.

Brent

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 1970's Conn Shooting Star tenor which is in pretty good shape except the neck has been crushed. Aside from another Conn Shooting Star neck, which seem to be really hard to find without buying another horn, are there other make / model necks that would work with this horn? I see on eBay there are some generic necks but they look like they might not work given the octave key mechanism and tenon size, etc. Any and all guidance is much appreciated. I put out a request on the wanted-to-buy forum, however i don't have the requisite 6 months here so it got deleted. Thanks everyone for looking.

Brent
Post some pictures of that squished neck. May be repairable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Maybe find another shooting star that has a scrapped body, and salvage the neck? Some shopping might get one with a case for $75.

·
3,950 Posts
Thanks PigSquealer! Attached are pics of the neck. I assumed that the cost to repair this would be higher than the cost of a replacement neck (or horn itself..given its a Shooting Star we're talking about)

Well that would describe a squished neck. Personally I never place a value on a horn that I like and intend on keeping. I assume due to the condition of the neck it was acquired at a reasonable low premium. You like it, and plan on keeping it.
If you have all the parts it may be worth calling a few repair techs to inquire about the cost of repairing the neck. Send a couple emails along with the pictures.Spending a couple hundred dollars on getting the correct neck repaired it’s no different than buying a premium mouthpiece for say $350. It all makes a playable enjoyable instrument. What part of the world are you located? Maybe other members can make a suggestion/referral.
Don’t underestimate a Shooting Star or Conn Director as they are called. 16m’s have feelings too!
I have two. If you get stuck send me a PM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks PigSquealer! Attached are pics of the neck. I assumed that the cost to repair this would be higher than the cost of a replacement neck (or horn itself..given its a Shooting Star we're talking about)

Well that would describe a squished neck. Personally I never place a value on a horn that I like and intend on keeping. I assume due to the condition of the neck it was acquired at a reasonable low premium. You like it, and plan on keeping it.
If you have all the parts it may be worth calling a few repair techs to inquire about the cost of repairing the neck. Send a couple emails along with the pictures.Spending a couple hundred dollars on getting the correct neck repaired it’s no different than buying a premium mouthpiece for say $350. It all makes a playable enjoyable instrument. What part of the world are you located? Maybe other members can make a suggestion/referral.
Don’t underestimate a Shooting Star or Conn Director as they are called. 16m’s have feelings too!
I have two. If you get stuck send me a PM.
Thanks, I live in the Las Vegas area. I do indeed plan on keeping / restoring the horn.

·
3,950 Posts
Well heck there’s got to be a pro shop in that town worthy. If tech asked what it’s to.... you may get a....it’s not worth it.
Thank them for the appraisal and the metal doesn’t know that, you would like to have your piece fixed.
And as maybe last resort in your town what about that guy Rick that does restoration on TV lol. Hey I’ll try anything. I would poke into autobody shop and ask manager who the best metalsmith is. $100 Side job with polish & lacquer. If the tenon is not damaged they can remove that before attacking the damage. Explain the importance of shape,especially the interior.
$25 should get the cork done or do it yourself.
At the same time I wouldn’t give up looking for a back up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Yes, indeed, I too think that any “ original” replacement or repair is likely to cost more than half the horn costed or is worth (with or without neck)

It is possible to replace the neck with a donor one but it is not likely that this wouldn’t cause any problem unless it is original (the donor neck might have for example the same length and internal volume (or not) and have the octave pip in a different place).

Anyway, also, do consider that even small diameter fluctuations will make necessary for a tech to make the tenon smaller or larger, which will also cost additional money.

There are indeed cheap Chinese necks but the chance that they will actually work (for dimensions and intonation) is not great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts