Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue i have encountered is a young sax player playing using standard neck straps on alto. IF the strap is adjustable to the right height at all, then the neck strap is adjusted with the slider so far up that it is constricting and uncomfortable. The parent has ordered a Neotec strap at my suggestion that comes in a Jr size, we will see if that works.

I have the same problem with my curved soprano sax, my standard neck straps are not adjustable to the shorter length i need.

Anyone have any experience obtaining neck straps that are more comfortable and adjustable for shorter or smaller people or for playing curved soprano saxes that seem to require a shorter strap adjustment than an alto or tenor?

IF you could list the make and model sax strap and where to buy it, that would be good. I think i found the Neotec Jr size strap online for sale at musciansfriend.com but i dont recall. Some of the Neotec straps (not all) come in a Jr size.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, but couldn't you use an old "ribbon" type strap (like the old Hyman?) and knot it around back to take up a couple of inches?
I haven't used it on neckstraps, but I have a bookbag thing that had a non-adjustable strap that was too long, so I put a single knot in it and have never had any problem with it slipping or letting go, even with some heavy duty books in it.

I haven't found a neckstrap that fits smaller kids well at all, so I have to be kind of "creative" with adjustment.

hope this idea helps

dv

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
This is so common a problem, it's truly amazing that manufacturers haven't addressed it. It's not only kids and smaller players that have this problem. I'm 6' 3" and find that my De Jaques strap gives me grief on Alto.
The only real solution I've come across, is to use one of the common "webbing" straps,but I unstich it and shorten it. As much as I prefer the convenience of the "slider" type straps, I need to be able to breathe even more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually, Dog Pants, it is pretty easy to shorten a DeJacques strap. The cord is held inside the leather loops by a knot. With a small screw driver, poke the knot through the loop to the outside, cut some off and retie the knot. Put a little glue like Elmer's glue on the knot before putting it pack into place. (I got the Elmer's glue tip from the manufacturer--this keeps it from coming untied.) Do the other side the same way. I have an alto strap I shortened in this way. It has never given me any trouble and is much more comfortable.

This is probably not a very practical solution for kids, though, because I doubt that most parents would be willing to shell out the cash for a DeJacques strap.

·
3,764 Posts
Mango Birkie said:
Actually, Dog Pants, it is pretty easy to shorten a DeJacques strap. The cord is held inside the leather loops by a knot. With a small screw driver, poke the knot through the loop to the outside, cut some off and retie the knot. Put a little glue like Elmer's glue on the knot before putting it pack into place. (I got the Elmer's glue tip from the manufacturer--this keeps it from coming untied.) Do the other side the same way. I have an alto strap I shortened in this way. It has never given me any trouble and is much more comfortable.

This is probably not a very practical solution for kids, though, because I doubt that most parents would be willing to shell out the cash for a DeJacques strap.
Bugger me! I should have thought of that. :shock: Thanks mate!

Must be one of the few bits of eqipment I own, that I haven't messed with. I was tempted to pull that trick "slide-on hook" bit apart to see how it works, but those straps cost too much to mess with.

Not sure what Elmer's Glue is. I'm sure Gordon would know. There's probably an Aussie equivalent. "Selleys" something or other. I've got the flu at the moment, so I'm sure I can cough up something suitable. :shock: :D ;)

How much did you cut off each side?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,025 Posts
Dog Pants said:
Not sure what Elmer's Glue is. I'm sure Gordon would know. There's probably an Aussie equivalent. "Selleys" something or other. I've got the flu at the moment, so I'm sure I can cough up something suitable. :shock: :D ;)
It is white glue as used by school children.
Dog Pants said:
How much did you cut off each side?

Just have somebody pinch it together to find a comfortable length. In the past I have used the basic Hyman strap for this modification. If so inclined you can remove a enough to insert a different material - wider webbing, leather, YMMV - as a pad for the part in contact with your neck. Does wonders for the comfort factor when playing without a shirt collar.

·
3,764 Posts
Carl H. said:
It is white glue as used by school children.

Just have somebody pinch it together to find a comfortable length. In the past I have used the basic Hyman strap for this modification. If so inclined you can remove a enough to insert a different material - wider webbing, leather, YMMV - as a pad for the part in contact with your neck. Does wonders for the comfort factor when playing without a shirt collar.
The stuff we used to eat! We called that "Perkin's Paste" when I was a kid. Came in a Pink Plastic tub with a spoon/applicator built into the lid.

Thanks Carl!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello, to suggest something about straps, maybe you can take a look on my site. I developed a total new strap concept which is neither strap nor harness, it's fully adjustable for kid to adult, for alto- to whatever weight the hook (tested up to 12 Kilo) will take..and constantly devides the weight of the axe between the neck and the back.
Pictures and info are on www.ba-sling.com >BA.Sling

·
Registered
479 Posts
Neotech Wick-It Sax Strap - Junior swivel hook

- Shorter length for kids, so that it can be adjusted to the correct length.
- Does NOT bounce like the other Neotech straps.
- Swivel hook so the saxophone is more or less "locked" to the strap.
- It is comfortable!

I use this strap when I play alto and soprano. I am 5'10" and I barely have to tighten the strap at all. Yes, I use the junior one because the regular was not available with the swivel hook. It seems to be that this would be a perfect strap for kids.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
In my opinion the very best type of neckstraps that were common when I was learning to play are no longer available. (This was in the 50's) It was simply a narrow leather belt that went through the slits cut into a padded neckpiece and had a hook attached to a loop on the end. The player adjusted the length with a small buckle using holes in the "belt". The greatest advantage of these was that once the neckstrap was adjusted to the right length it was fixed and simply went over the player's head. As the player grew taller he/she let it down a notch.

The advantages
1) The consistency - Changing the adjustment of an adjustable strap even an inch changes the angle of the mouthpiece in the mouth and the player's posture. You Just can't beat the consistency of having the exact same length strap every time with a player who is just learning.
2) Comfort - The other advantage is the padded neck piece. Most kids today wear collarless shirts and the narrow web straps painfully cut into the neck after a few minutes of playing. What does the kid do? He starts to support the weight of the sax with his hands because his neck is killing him.

The disadvantages
Difficulty switching quickly from one sax to another. But how many young players are doublers at that age? Ah the good old days....you also put your quarter into the dispenser in the bandroom and got out a brand new Rico reed.

·
Yes, one of the neck strap guys.
135 Posts
The Neotech junior size straps are available with our Classic Strap, Soft Sax Strap, Wick-It Strap, as well as the Soft Harness.

The junior straps have an adjustable range of approximately 15" - 18" whereas the regular versions are 16.5" - 21". The junior harness' range is 10.25" - 14.25" vs. the 15" - 19.5" of the regular. (Measurements are from the back of the neck to the end of the hook.)

They can all be seen at www.neotechstraps.com

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My daughter uses a BG france yoke neck srap that puts the weight over her shoulders. She plays tenor sax. She's 11. Bought strap at wwbw.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts